The procedure described below is for students who have already obtained a Master of Science degree from the University of Twente or elsewhere.
After successfully attaining a Master of Science degree or equivalent education, you may enter a Twente Graduate School research programme in the PhD phase. PhD candidates may either apply for a PhD position available within one of the research groups or they may have funding of their own.
Unlike in many other countries, most PhD researchers in the Netherlands are paid employees, often working directly for the university. Research projects are defined by the leader of the research group and for these projects graduate students are recruited to carry out the research. Vacancies for regular PhD positions at the University of Twente, also within the Twente Graduate School, are offered on the vacancies website. If there is a PhD position offered in the research field of your interest you are kindly invited to apply to such a vacancy.
You may also enter a Twente Graduate School research programme as PhD candidate with your own funding or with an international scholarship. In that situation research projects are initiated on the basis of proposals submitted by graduate students as part of their application procedure.
Before taking into consideration a proposed research plan, it must be clear that an application to a scholarship provider has been submitted or planned. Please note that - according to the Dutch system of paid employees – the UT itself has no possibilities to offer fellowships or similar funding for PhD candidates (except for advertised vacancies for which the UT has already secured funding).
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following attachments (in PDF or Word):
- Statement of interest and motivation
- Curriculum Vitae (listing the time of education/degrees and work experience and any relevant scientific publications)
- Outline of research proposal (2 pages)
- If English is not the native language, a document stating a overall band score of 6.5 in an academic IELTS-test (International Language Test) or TOEFL, internet based (TOEFL-iBT) of at least 90
- Two letters of recommendation from scientists who are familiar with the candidate’s academic work and can judge his or her potential as a PhD student
- Copies of exam results (both bachelor and master) and transcripts of certificates
- Copies of (up to 5) scientific works, including master's thesis
- Name of the provider to whom you have applied/will apply for funding or who has granted already
- Preference for one of the research programmes of TGS
- Preference for one of the participating Chairs in the research programme