Location: University of Twente – Enschede
Prior education: MSc in Educational Science and Technology, Civil Engineering or a related discipline.
Hours: 40 hours per week
About employer: http://www.zoarg.com and www.utwente.nl
Project leader: Prof.dr.ir.ing A.G. Dorée
PDEng Design Project
Background of the design project
The total length of cable and pipes in the Dutch underground reaches up to 2 million kilometres. Each year about 2,500 kilometres fibre optic cable is added. About 70 per cent of this is dug in the public domain. The other 30 per cent is through private terrain as gardens and driveways. To prevent damage to private properties these “connections to the home” are often executed with pneumatic mole or ground piercing tools.
Before the pneumatic mole is applied the utility owners provide information about the existing underground networks. Since several of these networks go back a long time, the actual location may not match with the provided location data. So despite preparations not seldom existing cables or pipes are hit or pierced during the “connection to the home”.
Ground penetrating radar technologies (GPR) have improved significantly over the past decennium. GPR Scanning and mapping of the prospected trajectory to the home is expected to reduce the number of incidents and damages. Each GPR scan produces a 2D cross-section of underground cables and pipes. For interpretation sake series of successive 2D scans must be converted manually to a 3D model.
Content of the design project
The mission of the design project is: “Design a strategy and method by which the collected 2D underground GPR scans are processed into a 3D AutoCAD model”.
During the educational part of the programme, you will receive a customised education package consisting of, among others, the courses in systems engineering, facility management, energy modelling and simulation, building sensors, information modelling, data mining and decision support system design.
- the ZoARG programme: www.zoarg.com/en
- ZoARG ambassador at Reggefiber: F. Frölich | +31 548 80 08 05 | f.frolich@Reggefiber.nl
- ZoARG ambassador UTwente: prof. AG Dorée | +31 53 489 4058 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- about Reggefiber: http://www.eindelijkglasvezel.nl/corporate/?sc_lang=en&preflang=en