Additional Information for international students

If you hold or if you are studying to obtain your Master’s degree at a university outside the Netherlands you can apply for one of our PDEng programmes of the University of Twente. Here you will find the general admission requirements. You should also check the specific subject requirements on the individual Master's programme websites.


Applicants for the PDEng programme should have a MSc degree or an equivalent  qualification from a recognized university or accredited academic institution in a discipline related to that of the Master’s programme.

If you have yet to complete your MSc programme, you can still apply for admission to a PDEng programme at the University of Twente. You may be granted a conditional acceptance based on your transcripts, detailed curriculum information, relevant research and expected graduation date. However, you must submit your MSc degree before you can start the PDEng programme.

English Language

Proficiency in the English language is a prerequisite.

Preferred requirements

Only internationally recognized test results are accepted:

  • Academic IELTS, overall band score of about 6.5
  • TOEFL Internet-based Test (iBT) with a score of about 90
  • Cambridge CAE-C (CPE)


You are exempted from the English language requirements if:

  • you are a native speaker of English from Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America;
  • you have obtained a relevant MSc degree from an accredited academic institution in the Netherlands;
  • you have obtained a MSc degree in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America.

Please note that if you are from an English-speaking country in Africa, you will have to take one of the approved university English tests.

Specific requirement for Chinese nationals

Nationals of the People’s Republic of China need to obtain a NUFFIC certificate as a validation of their qualifications, in addition to their English language test score documents. The University of Twente needs your NUFFIC certificate (formally known as ‘NESO certificate’) for your visa application. For more information, please visit the website of NESO China