The two-year Research Master Methodology and Statistics for the Behavioural, Biomedical and Social Sciences, starts in September. It is taught in English and leads to the title of Master of Science (MSc). The programme is organized by three different departments:
- Research methodology, Measurement and Data Analysis (University of Twente)
- Methods and Statistics (University of Utrecht)
- Biometrics (University Medical Centre Utrecht).
The programme is closely connected to the departments’ research expertise and the collaboration between these departments provides you with an exceptionally broad range of internship opportunities and thesis topics focused on the following fields: Behavioural Sciences, Biomedical Sciences and Social Sciences.
About the research master
More and more data are collected since many processes are being monitored or repeatedly measured. Data are of essential importance to address complex social research questions and decision problems. Therefore, competent professionals in research methodology and statistics are required who can provide creative solutions given (collected) data.
- How do we measure accurately student achievements, and evaluate changes in performance?
- How do we perform large-scale survey data analysis and measure cross-national differences?
- How do we obtain valid answers in a survey about sensitive topics like income or tax fraud?
- How do we accumulate knowledge through Bayesian updating techniques?
You will also be trained to consult with applied researchers on a wide range of methodological and statistical issues. A further specialization is possible in the behavioural, biomedical, or social sciences, which you can explore through electives. Different tracks are offered to professionalize you further: Survey (in cooperation with Statistics Netherlands, CentERData, and marker research companies), EMOS (European Master of Official statistics, in cooperation with Statistics Netherlands and planning bureaus), Educational Measurement (in cooperation with Cito and RCEC). A Biomedical track will start in 2016-2017.
More information about the programme structure.
Focus and Disciplines
Methodology and Statistics for the Behavioural, Biomedical and Social Sciences educates you to become an expert in methodology and statistics:
- develop methodological and statistical approaches that are required by new developments;
- evaluate commonly used methodological and statistical approaches; and
- apply methodological and statistical approaches in cooperation with behavioural, biomedical, and social science researchers.
You will be a qualified practitioner who is ready for a PhD training or a research career outside academia and ready to apply cutting-edge research in all sectors and fully equipped with the academic skills and knowledge necessary for your future career.
WHY study AT THE university of twente?
In today’s data-driven society, we monitor and measure everything but it's a big challenge to find the best way to design research and analyse data to extract the most valuable information and communicate results effectively. Would you like to advance the frontiers of statistics through research? Do you want to apply statistical knowledge and computing to solve problems across a wide range of fields? Do you like teaming up with professionals from other disciplines to achieve the best findings from the available data? Then this Research Master’s is for you!
The programme prepares you for a scientific career in fields such as:
- Research institutes
- Government organisations
- Private enterprises
More information about the career opportunities.
GET TO KNOW US
There are several ways to get to know the Research Master Methodology and Statistics for the Behavioural, Biomedical and Social Sciences.