All international students staying at the UT longer than four months must register at the municipal civil registry (GBA). Your enrolment at the UT will not be complete until you have successfully registered your address and Student Services has verified this registration.
- Hand in your passport during the introduction day for international students. You will receive an official document as confirmation (‘verklaring inname paspoort’). If you have not attended the introduction day, please contact Student Services as soon as possible.
- Reclaim your passport at the municipality the following Friday. Bring your ‘verklaring inname paspoort’ with you and the rental contract of your accommodation. You will receive a certificate of residence.
- Hand in your certificate of residence at Student Services.
- If you live in another municipality in the Netherlands, please visit the City Hall of your municipality to register at their GBA. You will receive a certificate of residence that you can give to Student Services, after which they will verify your address.
- If you live in Belgium, Luxembourg, North Rhine-Westphalia, Lower Saxony or Bremen, please obtain a certificate of residence (Meldebescheinigung) from your local municipality and give it to Student Services, after which they will verify your address.
ITC students will be guided through registration at the municipality by ITC student affairs.
Around two weeks after having registered at the municipal civil registry, you will receive a letter from the municipality stating your Burger Service Nummer (BSN). This letter will be written in Dutch. The BSN is your personal service number for all Dutch authorities. You will need it as identification on official documents (study subsidy forms, rental contracts etc.) during your stay in the Netherlands. Please keep this important document in your file!
Check the brochure for general information about the Municipal Personal Records Database & BSN (PDF file).