Overall objective of this training course is that you:
- will be able to operate more effectively in different cultural contexts and/or diverse teams in e.g. international industrial, governmental or academic settings.
More specifically, after this course you will:
- be aware of the complexity of culture and intercultural communication;
- know about the effects of your own cultural background(s) and personal characteristics on communication;
- be able to signal and describe how cultural misinterpretations can arise (intercultural sensitivity);
- know about and will be able to vary in communication styles according to the cultural communicative context (intercultural communication);
- know about the importance of investing in relationships and networks and developing win-win solutions (building commitment);
- be aware of your own identities and how these influence your position within the working environment and/or society;
- be aware of the potential of cultural diversity to innovation and learning (managing uncertainty);
- have learned from critical (intercultural) incidents at the workplace and incorporated awareness and practiced new skills in your day-to-day working environment;
- have gained a deeper understanding of your own cross-cultural qualities, possible pitfalls and ways to enhance the intercultural competences in your own international work environment.
This is an intensive training course that spans 5 weeks in total. It includes two trainings days, preparatory homework assignments, a personal intercultural profile - through use of the Intercultural Readiness Check© - , and a reflection report to conclude. Part of the homework is related to the booklet ‘Intercultural Sensitivity’ (Nunez et all) that wil be provided with the course. The training sessions consist of a diverse mix of interactive training methods, alternating theory with exchange in small groups, role-plays, case studies, exercises and reflection. Overall, the sessions will serve as a ‘playground’ to practice new skills and new behaviour that will stretch your comfort zone.
This course will be held from 9:30 - 16:30 and is equivalent to approximately 1 ECTS.
Programme is for PhD-candidates and supervisors