6 and 13 November (2 x 4 hours) and self-study exercises in between (approx. 6 hours)
Time and Place
Course participation is free of charge for UT staff
Hanneke Becht and Nicole Loorbach
Online exercises and self-study materials
PhD students from the UT who will submit an article to a scientific journal in the upcoming months. This will be used as your starting point in the exercises.
After this intensive workshop you will:
- Understand impact metrics and what these do and do not mean
- Understand what determines your scientific footprint and what steps will improve it
- Have experienced these steps and carried them out
- Know what impact criteria to focus on when choosing a journal to publish in
- Have experienced this process and carried it out
- Have an understanding of your options for open-access publishing as a UT author
- Know how to make your existing publications as visible as possible
- Know what impact criteria to focus on when choosing research partners
- Understand what impact criteria funders focus on and how to improve your résumé accordingly
- Understand what the press focuses on and how to present your research accordingly
Expect a supportive environment where you work together in small groups with your peers and a coach. You will focus on tasks such as:
- Evaluating the impact of a journal / a publication / a researcher
- Maximizing the visibility of your publications
- Improving your impact as a researcher
- Selecting a journal to publish in, based on improving your scientific impact
- Selecting partners to conduct research with, based on improving your scientific impact
- Improving your résumé for funding
What NOT to expect:
Extensive in-depth treatment of discipline-specific matters of impact
Participants are required to attend both course days in full.
Self-study time: approximately 6 hours. The total time investment amounts to 0,5 ECTS.
English language proficiency at level CEF B2 or higher (Common European Framework) is required.
If you are placed on the waiting list for the current course, you will be notified as soon as the sign-up for the next course is online. This will ensure your participation in the next course.