In this four-part course, you will learn how to structure your academic writing. The course will cover the different levels of structure and structural conventions in academic writing. You will practise recognising conventions in your own field of research, by analysing the structure of published research papers. You will also learn how to maintain cohesion throughout a text and how to build coherent paragraphs so that readers can easily understand your writing, regardless of the complexity of your topic.
- the purpose of structural conventions
- the different levels of structure
- how to maintain flow throughout a text
- how to guide the reader
- the importance of paragraph structure
- how to transition between paragraphs
- how to use linking words and phrases
This course consists of four two-hour online workshops. In advance of each workshop you are required to complete individual tasks (approx. 40 mins). You are required to submit these tasks in advance of the workshop in order to participate properly and have the workshop tailored to your needs. Total weekly workload is approximately 3 hours.