For the different dates see the sign up form on the bottom of this page.
UT students: €25 (registration fee), payable at registration. Course materials are included.
Ms. Elif Zimmermann, email: email@example.com
Provided by the TCP Language Centre
This course is intended for students who wish to further improve their academic English at an advanced level.
This language course aims to help you further advance your speaking and listening skills at university level. It offers you the chance to refine your English and provides additional support to develop the academic skills necessary for studying in an English-medium academic context.
Academic English: Speaking & Listening Advanced consists of ten weekly sessions.
The Academic English course offers support in acquiring a broader range of academic English vocabulary and grammar. Participants will improve their speaking and listening skills in English. The course also addresses a wider range of academic skills, such as critical thinking and independent learning. Specific topics in Advanced include:
- listening: identifying implicit assumptions and statements in need of justification, recognising strong and weak arguments, evaluating using criteria
- speaking: presenting a risk assessment, participating in a seminar debate, delivering a speech, contributing to meetings, presenting a project proposal
- language development: hedging and modal verbs, future predictions, abstract nouns, linking words, collocations
- using visual aids and diagrams
Learning will take place in an international classroom environment suited to students’ needs. Classroom activities will consist of practical tasks and various interactive assignments such as mini-presentations in small groups, in pairs, and on an individual basis. A language trainer will provide instruction and support.
Attendance at every session is essential. Active participation is expected. The course is held over ten weeks, with one session per week, each session lasting two hours and 15 minutes. Homework is compulsory and is expected to take approximately two hours each week. The study load for this course is roughly equivalent to 1,5 ECTS.
Academic English: Speaking & Listening is offered at two levels:
Participants are required to complete an Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT) before being accepted for enrolment in a course.
In order to determine your level and assess which course is appropriate for you, you are required to do the Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT). This is an online test which consists of a listening component and a grammar and vocabulary (“Use of English”) component.
- Request a token for the OOPT
- After two business days, you will receive an e-mail with your token and instructions to access the test online. Your token will be valid for two weeks.
- Take the test (you have 60 minutes in total to complete the test)
- The test results in a Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level of language proficiency ranging from A1 to C2
- Soon after taking the test, you will receive an email from the TCP Language Centre with your results and a recommendation for a specific Academic English course.