By practicing mindfulness you learn to direct your attention intentionally on something. You focus on sensory experiences, physical sensations, emotions and thoughts. You learn:
- To let be what you become aware without having to do something about it.
- To be more in the present moment (instead of always being busy with your to-do list and all the things that you need to do this week).
- To accept that things are what they are now. Unpleasant feelings become even more unpleasant if you try to resist them (“I must get rid of this feeling as soon as possible!”).
- To become aware of your own negative thoughts and behavioral patterns.
- To cope with your stressful situations and unwanted behavioral patterns.