Are your English speaking skills good enough? You may feel you spend too much time translating in your mind. You may also feel your pronunciation is not so clear: at times your fellow-students and/or colleagues may look quite confused when you talk to them in English, leading to nervousness and lack of confidence on your part. Because of this you have probably tried to work on your English pronunciation but in fact you do not know how to improve…
The Pronunciation Summer Intensive for Chinese PhD candidates and Staff (PSICS) will help you
- adopt really effective speaking strategies
- express yourself more easily
- communicate effectively
- be better understood
- relax more and enjoy speaking English!
Prior to the summer intensive you will be
- studying the free e-book 5 common pronunciation mistakes Chinese students make and how to avoid them
- watching the free video 3 pronunciation tips
- completing a questionnaire and flowchart about your English speaking skills
- recording yourself on your phone voice recorder giving a short elevator pitch about yourself and your research project
Once your trainer has received your questionnaire, flowchart and recording she will assess them carefully and personally feed you back on them.
You will follow the PELI approach and will be
- Participating in a personalised training course
- Enjoying yourself experiencing and exploring English pronunciation
- Learning by
- Implementing and integrating your new English pronunciation awarenesses and skills into your daily lives in and outside academia
You will take part in 5 interactive coaching sessions of 3 hours each. In addition, you will commit to engaging self-study activities, which will take approximately 1 - 2 hours each day. You will find that self-study is a critical success factor in achieving your English pronunciation goals.