NWO has adjusted the planning for the Talent Programmes Rubicon, Veni, Vidi and Vici. In this way, NWO can continue to ensure the equal treatment of all grant applicants and that transparency and meticulous assessment remain possible.
In short, due to the Corona crises, NWO believes that adjustments to the planning are necessary. These are the measures:
Rubicon has three funding rounds per year. The adjustments are:
- The deadline for submitting applications in the first funding round has been rescheduled from 31 March to 13 May.
- NWO will merge the second and third funding rounds of 2020 into a single round with 1 December 2020 as the deadline.
For applicants for Veni funding the following adjustments apply:
- During the course of April, with a possible extension into June, NWO will send them the remaining requests for a rebuttal.
- The response period for these rebuttals has been doubled from five to ten working days.
- The interview selection has been rescheduled from May to June 2020. Shortly after this selection, NWO will inform the candidates whether they have been invited for an interview.
- The Veni interviews are planned for September 2020.
- The decision about the Veni round 2020 will be taken in October 2020.
VENI 2021 funding round
NWO has rescheduled the deadline for submitting preproposals in the next Veni funding round (2021) in the domains SSH, AES and ZonMw from September 2020 to January 2021. This is to ensure that candidates have enough preparation time.
For applicants for Vidi funding the following adjustments apply:
- The interviews with the candidates who submitted proposals in October 2019 should have been held in March and April 2020. NWO has rescheduled these interviews for September 2020.
- The overlap between the current 2019 funding round and the next funding round of 2020 is relevant for those candidates who come for an interview, are rejected and want to submit again. They can choose from these options:
- Submit a proposal a year later (2021), and for this group, the cut-off date of 1 October 2020 will remain. (The cut-off date determines whether the applicant may still submit, namely at most 8 years after the PhD graduation date.)
- Participate in the standard round of 2020. Applicants will then be given until 1 December 2020 to adjust the proposal and submit it.
For applicants for Vici funding the new deadline for submitting preproposals, namely 30 April 2020, remains. The deadline had already been extended by a month following the first set of measures that NWO took as a result of the corona outbreak. NWO assumes that the majority of the Vici applicants have or have largely completed this concise proposal. Therefore NWO will not push back the deadlines further as then it can still ensure that the funding rounds in the Talent line remain spread out.
For internal BMS deadlines regarding procedures for Embedding Guarantee check BMS Research Support and later announcements via email.
For updates regarding NWO's policy towards funding and the coronavirus impact