Prof.dr. Marita Vos
Presence: by appointment
Building: Ravelijn, room 1444
Telephone: +31 (0)53 – 489 3423 (secretary)
Fax: +31 (0)53 – 489 2159
Personal website: www.jyu.fi/hum/laitokset/viesti/en/staff/marita-v
Areas of expertise:
- Crisis communication and community resilience
- Interaction in multi-actor issue arenas
- Organizational communication in dynamic environments
My work focuses on communication in turbulent environments, in particular, multi-actor public debate on social issues and crises. During the year 2016 I am a visiting professor at the University of Twente.
I am a full professor in Organizational Communication and PR at the University of Jyväskylä, Finland. At my home university I am responsible for the degree programmes and research in this field, and first supervisor of 14 doctoral students. I authored or co-authored 12 books and headed several funded research projects, in part for the interdisciplinary Agora Center.
During 2016 I am involved in the Centre for Risk Management, Safety and Security, work on publications and at a distance supervise 14 Nordic doctoral students. My international research projects can be found here: http://www.crisiscommunication.fi/
- Consortium coordinator of the EU-funded projects ‘Public Empowerment Policies in Crisis Management’, and ‘Developing a Crisis Communication Scorecard’, scientific director of a multidisciplinary Tekes project ‘Added value of intangibles for Innovation’, and primary investigator in other projects.
- Member of the Editorial Board of: ‘Corporate Communication, an International Journal’, Emerald (2009 onwards), and the journal of ‘Human Technology’.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of periodic scientific conferences on communication (EUPRERA, Crisis Communication).
- Reviewer for several conferences and of many peer reviewed journals, e.g. Journal of Communication Management, Corporate Communications: An International Journal, International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, Risk Analysis.
Publications (short selection)
- Ruggiero, A. & Vos, M. (2015), Communication challenges in CBRN terrorism crises – expert perceptions. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, 23(3), 138-148.
- Hyvärinen, J., Laajalahti, A. & Vos, M. (2015), Enhancing citizen response to crises through communication – Investigating expert views. International Journal of Emergency Management, 11(4), 302-319.
- Vos, M., Schoemaker, H. & Luoma-aho, V. (2014), Setting the agenda for research on issue arenas. Corporate Communications: an International Journal, 19(2), 200-215.
- Zhang, B. & Vos, M. (2014), Social media monitoring: methods, benefits and difficulties for international companies. Corporate Communications, an International Journal, 19(4), 371–383.
- Vos, M., Lund, R., Harro-Loit, H. & Reich, Z. (eds, 2011), Developing a crisis communication scorecard. Studies in Humanities, University of Jyväskylä (Ref. E-book) https://jyx.jyu.fi/dspace/handle/123456789/27124
For publications, see ResearchGate and www.vos-schoemaker.com.