Building: Cubicus, room C230
Telephone: +31 (0)53 – 489 5519
Secretary: +31 (0)53 – 489 5279
Fax: +31 (0)53 – 489 2895
My main interest is in human decision making: what is the role of emotions and intuition, how do biases affect judgment and decision making and what can we do improve decision processes? I have applied this knowledge in a wide range of domains such as forensics (tunnel vision), health care (decision aids) and safety and security (self-reliance and community resilience).
- Tunnel vision in forensic investigations. PhD project (Lieke Curfs) at Radboud University, in collaboration with Daniel Wigboldus (RU) and Rob Holland (RU)
- Active citizenship. PhD project (Marije Bakker) at University of Twente, in collaboration with Ellen Giebels (UT)
- Community policing. PhD project (Wendy Schreurs) at University of Twente, in collaboration with Ellen Giebels (UT)
- Community Resilience. TNO research project, in collaboration with Martin van de Lindt (TNO) en Hanneke Duijnhoven (TNO)
- Measuring resilience. Commissioned by WODC (Ministry of Safety and Security), in collaboration with Inge Trijssenaar (TNO)
- DRIVER (DRiving InnoVation in crisis management for European Resilience, FP7 project), projectmanager of WP on Community Resilience
- Member national advisory board 'Resilience'
- Member national platform ‘Active Citizenship’
- Member assessment commission RAAK (sub commission Culture and Welfare)
- Member advisory committee 'Intelligence' (professor Marielle den Hengst, Police Academy)
- Member advisory committee ‘CSI-program’ (professor Christanne de Poot, Applied University of Amsterdam)
- Member international working group 'Community Resilience'
- Cremers, A., Stubbé, H., Beek, D. van der, Roelofs, M. & Kerstholt, J. (2014). Does playing the serious game B-SaFe! make citizens more aware of man-made and natural risks in their environment? Journal of Risk Research, DOI: 10.1080/13669877.2014.919513
- Berkum, J.J.A. van, Goede D. de, Alphen, P.M. van, Mulder. E.R. & Kerstholt, J.H. (2013). How robust is the language architecture? The case of mood. Frontiers in Psychology, 4, 1 – 19.
- Bakker, M.H., Kerstholt, J & Giebels, E. (2013). Features and drivers of active citizenship why are some citizens active, whereas others are not? Proceedings of the European Urban Research Association Conference Enschede 2013.
- Kerstholt, J.H., Wieringa, O., Bart, H. & Zwaard, F. van der (2012). Increased empowerment with a decision aid for choosing a place of death. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 14, 7, 484-490.
- Dijkstra, K.A., Pligt, J. van der, Kleef, G.A. van & Kerstholt, J.H. (2012). Deliberation versus intuition: global versus local processing in judgment and choice. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 48, 5, 1156-1161.
- Kerstholt, J., Eikelboom, A., Dijkman, T., Stoel, R., Hermsen, R. & Leuven, B. van (2010). Does suggestive information cause a confirmation bias in bullet comparisons? Forensic Science International, 198, 138-142.
- Kerstholt, J.H. ,Zwaard, F. van der, Bart, H. & Cremers, A. (2009). Construction of health preferences: a comparison of direct value assessment and personal narratives. Medical Decision Making, 29, 513-520.
- Kerstholt, J.H. & Eikelboom, A.R. (2007). Effects of prior interpretation on situation assessment in crime analysis. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 20, 455-465.
- Kerstholt, J.H., Paashuis, R. & Sjerps, M. (2007). Shoe print examinations: effects of expectation, complexity and experience. Forensic Science International, 165, 30-34.
- Kerstholt, J.H., Jansen, N.J.M., Amelsvoort, A.G. van & Broeders, A.P.A. (2006). Earwitnesses: effects of accent, retention and telephone. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 20, 187-197.
- Kerstholt, J.H., de Boer, W.E.L. & Jansen, N.J.M. (2006). Disability assessments: effects of response mode and experience. Disability and Rehabilitation, 28, 111-115.
- Kerstholt, J.H., Koster, E.R. & Amelsvoort, A.G. van (2004). Eyewitnesses: A comparison of live, video and photo lineups. Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 19 (2).
- Kerstholt, N.J.M. Jansen, A.G. van Amelsvoort, A.P.A. Broeders (2004). Earwitnesses: effects of speech duration, retention interval and acoustic environment. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 18, 327-336.
- Kerstholt, J.H. & Ayton, P. (2001). Should NDM change the way we think about decision making? Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 14, 370-372.
- Kerstholt, J.H. & Passenier, P.O. (2000). Fault management in supervisory control: the effect of false alarms and support. Ergonomics, 43, 1371-1389.
- Kerstholt, J.H. & Jackson, J.L. (1998). Judicial decision making: order of evidence presentation and availability of background information. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 12, 445-454.
- Kerstholt, J.H. & Raaijmakers, J.G.W. (1997). Decision making in dynamic task environments. In R. Ranyard, W.R. Crozier & O. Svenson (Eds.). Decision making: Cognitive models and explanations. London: Routledge.
- Kerstholt, J.H. (1997). Dynamic decision making in non-routine situations. In R. Flin, E. Salas, M. Strub & L. Martin (Eds.) Decision making under stress: Emerging themes and applications. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Kerstholt, J.H. (1996). The effect of information costs on strategy selection in dynamic tasks. Acta Psychologica, 94, 273-290.
- Kerstholt, J.H., Passenier, P.O., Houttuin, K. & Schuffel, H. (1996). The effect of a priori probability and complexity on decision making in a supervisory control task, Human Factors, 38, 65-78.
- Kerstholt, J.H. (1995). Decision making in a dynamic situation: The effect of false alarms and time pressure. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 8, pp. 181-200.
- Kerstholt, J.H. (1994). The effect of time pressure on decision making behavior in a dynamic task environment. Acta Psychologica, 86, pp. 89-104.
- Kerstholt, J.H., Raaijmakers, J.G.W., & Valeton, J.M. (1992). The effect of expectation on the identification of known and unknown persons. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 6, 173-180.
- Kerstholt, J.H. (1992). Information search and choice accuracy as a function of task complexity and task structure. Acta Psychologica, 80, pp. 185 197.