Building: Cubicus, room C236
Telephone: +31 (0)53 – 489 6650
Secretary: +31 (0)53 – 489 5279
Fax: +31 (0)53 – 489 2895
- Moral judgment
- Leadership behavior
- High stake environments
- Social interactions
I received my academic degree in both Psychology and Communication Studies (Cum Laude) from the University of Twente (The Netherlands) in 2008. Since 2008 I work for the Dutch Ministry of Defence (MOD) in various (managerial) functions in the field of leadership, ethics, and education. I am affiliated to the University of Twente as a PhD student. My doctoral dissertation in psychology focuses on ethical challenges in dynamic complexity. Prof.dr. Ellen Giebels is my promotor, prof.dr. Desiree Verweij (Nijmegen) is my co-promotor. My studies address issues like emotions, moral identity, moral intensity and sense making under stressful circumstances. The Netherlands Armed Forces serve as a case for my studies. I have published several (international) articles, reports, and book chapters dealing with leadership and ethics in the Dutch forces. In 2013 I co-edited the International Military Leadership Association’s annual publication about Leadership and the Comprehensive Approach. In 2015 I was nominated for the Netherlands Young Talent Award in female leadership.
- Ethical challenges of HR-professionals (2016)
- Moral identity (2014-2016)
- Moral intensity and sense making (2013-2015)
- Moral Emotions (2013-2014)
- Destructive Leadership (2012)
- Leadership in Multinational Teams (2011)
- Challenges in Leadership during deployment (2010-2012)
- Organizing Morality in Dynamic Complexity (PhD study, since 2010)
- Sources of Inspiration for Executives (2009)
- Trust within teams (2007-2008)
- Senior Advisor Social Integrity - MOD
- Head of expertise unit – Army Centre of Excellence for Education
- Scientific Researcher and Project manager – Army Centre of Excellence for Leadership and Ethics
- PhD student – University of Twente
Articles in peer-reviewed international journals
- De Graaff, M. C., Schut, M., Verweij, D. E.M., Vermetten, E., & Giebels, E. (2016). Emotional Reactions and Moral Judgment: The Effects of Morally Challenging Interactions in Military Operations. Ethics & behavior, 26(1), 14-31.
- Schut, M., De Graaff, M. C., & Verweij, D. (2015). Moral Emotions during Military Deployments of Dutch Forces A Qualitative Study on Moral Emotions in Intercultural Interactions. Armed Forces & Society, 41(4), 616-638.
Articles in Dutch
- De Graaff, M.C., & Stoppelenburg, D. (2013). Onbewust Ongewenst Leiderschapsgedrag. De Onderofficier, 55(4), 14-19.
- De Graaff, M.C., & Stoppelenburg, D. (2013). Destructief Leiderschapsgedrag - een onderbelicht fenomeen. Carré, 36(5), 28-33.
- De Graaff, M.C., & Kramer, E.H. (2012). Leiderschap, uitzending en 'intelligent failure'. De intelligente mislukking als hoeksteen van de lerende organisatie. Management en Organisatie, 66(5), 41-60.
- De Graaff, M.C., & Kramer, E.H. (2009). Onderling vertrouwen binnen uitgezonden eenheden. Militaire Spectator, 178(4), 221-234.
Contributions in International Publications
- De Graaff, M.C., Schroeder, Y.C.J., & Boeijen-Mennen, K.H.M. (2013). The Dutch Approach: Leadership Lessons from Multidisciplinary Teams. In D.E. Woycheshin & M.C. De Graaff (Eds.), The Comprehensive Approach: International Perspectives (pp. 101-114). Kingston: Canadian Defence Academy Press.
- Woycheshin, D.E., & De Graaff, M.C. (2013). The Comprehensive Approach to Operations: International Perspectives. Kingston: Canadian Defence Academy Press.
- Pfister, A., De Graaff, M.C., & Van Gils, M.J. (2012). The Dynamic-Five-Factor model as a compass for military professionalism: a comparison between Switzerland and the Netherlands. In J. Stouffer & D. Lindsay (Eds.), Threats to military professionalism, international perspectives (pp. 195-216). Kingston: Canadian Defence Academy Press.
- De Graaff, M.C., & Van Gils, M.J. (2012). Military Professionalism, an organizational challenge by itself. In J. Stouffer & D. Lindsay (Eds.), Threats to military professionalism, international perspectives (pp. 57-70). Kingston: Canadian Defence Academy Press.
- De Graaff, M.C., & Van den Berg, C.E.M. (2010). Moral Professionalism within the Royal Netherlands Armed Forces. In J. Stouffer & S. Seiler (Eds.), Military Ethics, international perspectives (pp. 1-24). Kingston: Canadian Defence Academy Press.