Presence: Mo. / Tu. / Wed. / Thu. / Fr.
Building: Cubicus, room C243b
Secretary: Joke Sonneveldt (+31 (0)53 – 489 5279) / Marcia Clifford (+31 (0)53 - 489 3423, room c243a)
Fax: +31 (0)53 – 489 2895
My area of expertise concerns human reactions and social interactions in high-risk, high-stakes situations. Key topics are:
- Conflict and negotiation
- Crime and deception
- Coping and resilience
- Social context of risk
Much of my work is in collaboration with Dutch, other European and North American governmental parties. In 2012, I received the Rubin Theory-to-practice-award, co-sponsored by the International Association for Conflict Management (IACM) and the Harvard Program on Negotiation. In 2015, I was part of the research team that officially evaluated the Dutch governmental functioning following the MH17 disaster.
Vice-dean (Research), Faculty of Behavioural, Management, and Social sciences (BMS), UT
Vice Scientific director Institute for Innovation and Governance Studies (IGS)
Management Team, BMS Faculty, UT
Head of department Psychology of Conflict, Risk & Safety, Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences, UT
Full professor Social Psychology of Conflict and Safety, UT
Associate Professor, UT
Assistant Professor of Social and Organizational Psychology, University of Groningen
Secondment at Behavioural Science Unit of the Federal Police, Brussels, Belgium
Postdoc (NWO) project on crisis negotiations
PhD project “negotiation in organizations”; PhD obtained November 1999
Visiting research fellow (5 months) at Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Project manager at institute for post-academic courses, Utrecht (PAO
MSc in Social and Organizational Psychology, University of Groningen, NL
- Psychology of Safety (201600005)
- Psychogy and Crime (201400580)
- Professional Master Risk Management & Public Management (Risk Module)
- Supervision of Bachelor and Master Theses
Design and Implementation of ICT-based communication systems in victim-offender mediation
PhD student: Lisanne van den Berg
Supervision together with dr. Sven Zebel (UT), dr. Marielle Stoelinga, prof.dr. Boudewijn Haverkort (both UT/EWI)
Funded by the Tech4People program, BMS faculty
From citizen participation to vigilantism in the police domain
PhD student: Wendy Schreurs
Supervision together with prof.dr. José Kerstholt (UT/TNO) and Dr. Peter de Vries (UT)
Funded by TNO
Error Recovery in Protracted Suspect Interactions
PhD student: Miriam Oostinga
Supervision in collaboration with prof.dr. Paul Taylor (University of Lancaster/UT)
Funded by a US government grant
Early triage in conflict
PhD student: Marian van Dijk
Supervision in collaboration with dr. Sven Zebel (UT)
Funded by the Council for Legal Aid, Ministry of Justice
Deciding to help: effects of risk and crisis communication
PhD student: Marije Bakker
Supervision in collaboration with prof. dr. José Kerstholt (TNO/UT) and dr. Marco van Bommel (UT)
Funded by TNO
Resilience in the risk domain
PhD student: Milou Kievik
Supervision in collaboration with dr. Jan Gutteling (University of Twente/European University of Cyrus)
Funded by a Saxion University of Applied Sciences Scholarship
The influence of the environment and CCTV on criminal behavior
PhD student: Anja Jansen
Supervision in collaboration with dr. Thomas van Rompay (University of Twente) and prof. dr. Marianne Junger (University of Twente)
Funded by IGS, University of Twente
Associate editor Legal and Criminological Psychology
Editorial Board Negotiation and Conflict Management Research
Advisor Dutch National Police Agency
Guest lecturer Police Academy of the Netherlands
Full Member of the Kurt Lewin Institute, National research school for social psychology and its applications
Reviewer and committee member for i.e. NWO talent, NWO VIDI, NWO VENI, FWO, CREST, EAPL, IACM, WODC, Police & Science program
Committee scientific integrity, University of Twente (2012-2014)
Central ombudsperson (confidential advisor), University of Twente (2009-2014)
Evaluation committee Chair Public Order Management of the Police Academy of the Netherlands (2013)
Program committee European Net of Excellence SSPNet (Social Signal Processing
Network, Seventh Framework Program7) conference, Roma, October 29-31 2013
- Oostinga, M.S.D., Giebels, E., Taylor, P.J. (2017; online first). Communication Error Management in Law Enforcement Interactions: A Receiver’s Perspective. Psychology, Crime & Law. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1068316X.2017.1390112
- Kievik, M., Misana-Ter Huurne, E., Gutteling, J.M., & Giebels, E. (2017; Online first). Making it stick: Exploring the effects of information and behavioral training on self-protectiveness in a real-life safety setting. Safety Science. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2017.08.007
- Oostinga, M.S.D., Giebels, E., Taylor, P.J (2017; online first). ‘An Error is Feedback’: The Experience of Communication Error Management in Crisis Negotiations. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15614263.2017.1326007
- Bakker, M.H., Kerstholt, J.H., & Giebels, E. (2017; online first). Deciding to help: Effects of risk and crisis communication. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management. DOI: 10.1111/1468-5973.12155
- Giebels, E., Oostinga, M.S.D., Taylor, P.J., & Curtis, J.L. (2017). The cultural dimension of uncertainty avoidance impacts police-civilian interaction. Law and Human Behavior, 41, 93-102.
- Jansen, A.M., Giebels, E., Van Rompay, T., Austrup, S., & Junger, M. (2017). Order and Control in the environment: Exploring the effects on undesired behavior and the importance of locus of control. Legal and Criminological Psychology, 22, 213-227.
- De Graaff, M.C., Giebels, E., Meijer, D.J.W., & Verweij, D.E.M. (2016; online first). Sensemaking in military critical incidents: The impact of moral intensity. Business and Society. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0007650316680996
- Hilverda, F., Kuttschreuter, M. & Giebels, E (2016). Social media mediated interaction with peers, experts and anonymous authors: conversation partner and message framing effects on risk perception and sense-making of organic food. Food Quality and Preference, 56, 107-118. Find the article here
- Ströfer, S., Ufkes, E.G., Noordzij, M.L., Giebels, E. (2016). Catching a deceiver in the act: Processes underlying deception in an interactive interview setting. Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback. doi: 10.1007/s10484-016-9339-8. Find the article here
- Giebels, E., De Reuver, R., Rispens, S. & Ufkes, E.G. (2016). The critical roles of task conflict and job autonomy for the relationship between proactive personality and employee innovative behavior. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 52, 320-341.
- Ströfer, S., Ufkes, E.G., Bruijnes, M., Giebels, E., Noordzij, M.L. (2016). Interviewing Suspects with Avatars: Avatars are More Effective When Perceived as Human. Frontiers in Psychology, 7:545, doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.00545. Find the article here
- Van Dijk, M. A.J., Giebels, E. & Zebel, S. (2016). Building strength or lending an ear in legal conflicts: Dependence and conflict asymmetry as distinct predictors of needs for third party help. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 9, 3-21.
- De Graaff, M.C., Schut, M., Verweij, D.E.M., Vermetten, E. & Giebels E. (2016). Emotional Reactions and Moral Judgment: The Effects of Morally Challenging Interactions in Military operations. Ethics and Behavior, 26, 14-31.
- Torenvlied R., Giebels,E., Wessel, R.A., Gutteling, J.M., Moorkamp, M. en Broekema, W. (2015). Rapport Evaluatie Nationale Crisisbeheersingsorganisatie Vlucht MH17. [Report Evaluation National Crisis Management Organization Flight MH17]. Den Haag: WODC.
- Ströfer, S., Noordzij, M., Ufkes, E.G. & Giebels, E. (2015). Deceptive intentions: can cues to deception be measured before a lie is even stated? PLoS ONE 10(5): e0125237. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0125237. Find the article here
- Giebels, E., Ufkes, E.G., & Van Erp, K.J.M.P. (2014). Understanding high-stakes conflicts. In N. Ashkanasy, O.B., Ayoko & K.A. Jehn (Eds.), The Handbook of Research in Conflict Management, pp. 66-78. London: Edward Edgar Publishing.
- Erp, K J.P.M. van, Zee, K. I. van der, Giebels, E. & Duijn, M.A.J. van (2013). Lean on me: The importance of one's own and partner's intercultural personality for expatriate's and expatriate spouse's successful adjustment abroad. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 23, 706-728.
- Beune, K. & Giebels, E. (2013). The management of protected witnesses: A behavioural perspective. Universiteit Twente. (Also available in Dutch)
- Janssen, O. & Giebels, E. (2013). When and why creativity-related conflict can hurt creative individuals’ performance within work teams. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 22, 574-587. DOI: 10.1111/lcrp.12095.
- Wells, S., Taylor, P. J., & Giebels, E. (2013). Terrorism and crisis negotiations. In M. Olekalns, & W. Adair (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Negotiation, pp. 473-498. London: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ufkes E. G., Giebels, E., Otten, S., & Van der Zee, K. I. (2012). The effect of stereotype content on anger versus contempt in “day-to-day” conflicts. International Journal of Conflict Management, 23, 290-306. doi:10.1108/10444061211248985
- Best empirical conference paper. International Association for Conflict Management (IACM) 2012, Stellenbosch, SA.
- Prentice, S., Taylor, P.J., Rayson, P., & Giebels, E. (2012). Differentiating act from ideology: evidence from messages supporting and denouncing violent extremism. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 5, 289-306.
- Martini-Nieboer, H.A., Dolnik, A. & Giebels, E. (2012). Far and away: police negotiators and overseas deployment. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 5, 307-324.
- Ufkes, E.G., Otten, S., Van der Zee, K.I., & Giebels, E., Dovidio, J. (2012). Urban district identity as a common ingroup identity: The different role of ingroup prototypically for minority and majority. European Journal of Social Psychology, 42, 706-716.
- Römer, M., Rispens, S., Giebels, E., & Euwema, M.C (2012). Detrimental consequences of conflict among colleagues: What role does the leader play? Negotiation Journal, 28, 253-277.
- Ufkes, E.G., Otten, S., van der Zee, K.I., Giebels, E. (2012). Neighborhood conflicts: the role of social categorization. International Journal of Conflict Management, 23, 290 – 306.
- Poortvliet, M. & Giebels, E. (2012). Self-improvement and cooperation: how exchange relationships promote mastery driven individuals’ job outcomes. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 21, 392-425.
- Ufkes, E.G., Otten, S., Van der Zee, K.I., & Giebels, E. & Dovidio, J. (2012). The effect of stereotype content on intergroup emotions in conflicts. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 15, 55-72.