Telephone: +31 53 489 6585
Ravelijn building; room RA 4113
Anna Priante is a PhD candidate at the departments of Public Administration and NIKOS (Netherlands Institute for Knowledge Intensive Entrepreneurship) at the University of Twente. Her PhD project focuses on the effectiveness of Twitter cancer awareness campaigns on prevention and early detection behavior. The goal of the project is explaining how online identities and network structures explain the effectiveness of online advocacy campaigns in achieving their goals. Her research aims to contribute to social movement and organizations, network and identity literature. Methodologically, it exploits the potential of Big Data methods combined with qualitative and quantitative approaches by utilizing a unique dataset obtained via a Twitter #datagrant. Anna is part of the team that in 2014 received one of the first six awarded Twitter #datagrants for a study of online cancer awareness campaigns, such as #Movember (prostate and testicular cancer). Anna’s PhD advisors are prof. dr. Ariana Need, dr. Michel Ehrenhard and dr. Tijs van den Broek.
Anna obtained a BSc in Sociology (cum Laude, 2012) and a MSc in Sociology and Social Research (cum Laude, 2015) at the University of Trento (Italy). Her master thesis focused on processes of public communication of science on Twitter. During her Master program Anna has also collaborated with two research groups: Science Technology and Society (STSTN) at the University of Trento (ongoing collaboration) and Observa Science in Society (Vicenza).
- - Online social movements
- - Social media and computer-mediated communication
- - Identity theory
- - Network theory
- - Natural Language Processing
- - Big data for social sciences
- - Public communication and understanding of science
- Priante, A., Hiemstra, D., van den Broek, T. , Saaed, A., Ehrenhard M. & Need, A. (2016). "WhoAmI in 160 Characters? Classifying Social Identities Based on Twitter. In: Proceedings of the first EMNLP Workshop on Natural Language Processing and Computational Social Science, Association for Computational Linguistics, ISBN 978-1-945626-26-5, pages 55-65, 2016.
- van den Broek, T., Walker, E., Ehrenhard, M., Priante, A., Need, A. (2017),Collective Action in Context: A Multi-level Analysis of Movember Teams' Effectiveness. Academy of Management conference, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, August 4th – 8th
- Walker, E., van den Broek, T., Ehrenhard, M., Priante, A. (2017), Community and coordination: a multi-level analysis of social movement teams’ effectiveness. European Group of Organization Studies conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, July 6th - 8th.
- Priante, A., Hiemstra, D., van den Broek, T. , Saaed, A., Ehrenhard M. & Need, A. (2016). #WhoamI in 160 characters? Classifying Social Identity Based onTwitter Profile Descriptions. Workshop in Computational Social Science and Natural Language Processing at EMNLP, Austin, Texas, USA, November 5th.
- van den Broek, T.A., Need, A., Ehrenhard, M.L., Priante, A. & Hiemstra, D.J. (2015). The Influence of Prosocial Norms and Online Network Structure on Prosocial Behavior: An Analysis of Movember’s Twitter Campaign in 24 Countries. Social Media, Activism and Organizations (#SMAO15) symposium, London, UK, November 6th.
33rd EGOS Colloquium, Pre-Colloquium PhD Workshop, CBS, Copenhagen, Denmark, July 3rd – 4th 2017.
14th SIKS/Twente Seminar on Searching and Ranking: Text as social and cultural data, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands (March, 10th 2017)
- Paper presentation
EMNLP 2016: Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing in Austin, Texas, USA (November 1–5 2016)
- NLP+CSS: Workshops on Natural Language Processing and Computational Social Science
- NLP+CSS Doctoral Consortium
Big Data & Analytics Summer School at Essex University in Colchester, UK (5-16 September 2016)
Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (AOM) in Anaheim, Los Angeles (5-9 August 2016).
- OCIS Doctoral Consortium
- International Paper Development workshop
UT CBS Data Camp at the University of Twente, The Netherlands (23-27 November 2015). Datacamp on big data analysis and technologies organized by the Central Bureau of Statistics of the Netherlands (CBS) and the University of Twente (UT).
Social Media, Activism, and Organizations (#SMAO15) symposium in London, UK (6 November 15). Panel session.
Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (AOM) in Vancouver, Canada (7-11 August 2015). Professional Development Workshop with Ronald S. Burt (University of Chicago) and Tiziana Casciaro (University of Toronto)
- Professional Development Workshop with Ronald S. Burt (University of Chicago) and Tiziana Casciaro (University of Toronto)
Digital methods for critical research: Tools and approaches for web-based and text-based analyses at the University of Padova, Italy (25/26 September, 16/17 October, 20/21 November 2014). Workshop with Richard Rogers (University of Amsterdam and GocGov.Com Foundation), Luca Ghirotto (University of Verona and QSR International (UK) Limited), Elena Pavan (Università di Trento).
Ethnography of Big Data and Ethnography of Documents at the University of Trento, Italy (16/18 June 2014). Workshop with David Hakken (Indiana University Bloomington, USA) and Kalpana Shankar (UCD Dublin).
7th National Summer School SCS 2013 - Science Communication and Society at Agorà Scienza, Centro Interuniversitario in Torino, Italy (1-6 September 2013).
- University of Trento Merit Prize 2016 for graduate students with high merits, skills and engagement in their studies.
- Tech4People PhD grant 2015. Anna’s PhD project is funded by the Tech4People program of the University of Twente.
- Awarded Student of the “Collegio di Merito B. Clesio” 2012 (Trento, Italy) for academic merits (Academic Years 2012/2013 and 2013/2014).
- University of Trento Merit Prize 2012 for undergraduate students with high merits, skills and engagement in their studies.
- Instructor in the course "Social Problems" with prof. Ariana Need (Public Administration Master Program, University of Twente) – Set/Nov 2016 and Set/Nov 2017.
- Instructor in the course "Social Problems" with prof. Ariana Need (Public Administration Master Program, University of Twente) – Set/Nov 2015.
- Teaching Assistant in the courses Sociology of Science (Bachelor program) and Communication, Science and Technology (Master program) with prof. Massimiano Bucchi (Department of Sociology and Social Research, University of Trento) – Academic years 2013-2014 and 2014-2015.
- B. Awlad-Wadair, Advanced Technology Bachelor Program. Thesis title: Tweeting about health technologies during the Movember campaign: Who is involved and how do they frame their discourse? (Graduation: June 2016)
- K. Pots, Business Administration Master Program. Thesis title: Deciphering search ranking credibility and quality: an exploratory analysis (Graduation: September 2016)
Peer Reviewing for
- Technological Forecast and Social Change 2017
- New Media and Society 2015
- Journal of the Association for Information Systems 2015, 2017
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2015
Memberships: Academy of Management (AOM), European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS), Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL), International Network for Social Network Analysis (INSNA).
Within the University of Twente:
- Member of the Twente Graduate School (TGS)
- Member of the Institution for Innovation and Governance Study (IGS)
- Member and one of the founders of the IGS Phds for Phds
- Member of PhD Network of the University of Twente (P-NUT)
- Priante, A. (2013), La musica della matematica. Un dialogo tra il matematico Piergiorgio Odifreddi e la pianista Francesca Aste nell’ambito dei seminari su “Scienza, Tecnologia e Società”, in Periodico Unitn, XV, 133 [link]
- Priante, A. (2009), Il Buddha Insanguinato, Edizione Cento Autori, Napoli.