Professor in Sociology and Public Policy
Email: prof.dr. Ariana Need
Tel. +31 53 489 4037 / 3260
Ravelijn building; room RA 5244 (Monday - Thursday - Friday afternoon)
Cubicus building; room C-311 (Tuesday - Friday morning)
Prof. dr. Ariana Need is professor of Sociology and Public Policy at the Faculty of Behavioural, Management & Social Sciences, University of Twente, The Netherlands. She got a MA Political Science at the University of Nijmegen. In 1997 she got her PhD which is titled: The Kindred Vote: Individual and family effects of social class and religion on electoral change in the Netherlands, 1956-1997.
Her former positions were associate professor at the department of Sociology of the University of Nijmegen, and assistant professor at the department of Sociology of the University of Amsterdam. She is currently an associate member of Nuffield College, Oxford and a member of the Young Academy of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Since May 1, 2011 prof. Need is member of Sociaal Wetenschappelijke Raad, KNAW
Scholarships and prizes
- 2006 Research project funded by NORFACE Research Programme ‘Re-Emergence of Religion as a Social Force in Europe?’: ‘Extending and enhancing the ISSP 2008 module on religion’ (main applicant prof. D. Voas). Budget: k€500
- 2005 ASPASIA-subsidy ‘Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research’ (NWO). (Dossiernumber 015-002-004). Budget: k€100
- 2005 Research project funded by the ‘Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research’ (NWO) (k€ 600) ‘Abortion, contraception and assisted reproduction: technological innovations and the role of religion and education’.
- 2009 - University of Twente
- Sociology of Dutch Society: A research paper
- Sociology of Dutch Society: Ethical Issues in Dutch Society