Assistant Professor of European Law and Governance
University of Twente
Centre for European Studies
Faculty of Behavioural, Management & Social Sciences
P.O. Box 217
NL-7500 AE Enschede
Assistant professor for the chair of International and European Law and Governance held by Prof. Dr. Ramses A. Wessel. The Chair is part of the Law & Regulation group of the Department of Public Administration.
Additional functions include:
- Member of the Editorial Board of QIL, Questions of International Law
- Associate Editor of European Papers
- Member of ECLAN, the European Criminal Law Academic Network
My research focuses on Justice and Home Affairs law of the EU, the law of EU external relations, EU citizenship, free movement of persons and EU institutional law. Another passion of mine is the constitutional significance (from a legal perspective) of the European integration process and comparative constitutional law. My research interests and passions are reflected in the different courses I teach for the Bachelor Programme in European Public Administration and the Master Programme in European Studies.
Prior to joining the University of Twente in 2015 I worked as a research fellow at the T.M.C. Asser Instituut in The Hague. In this capacity I have acquired a vast experience lecturing for professionals and working as consultant in numerous applied research projects on comparative and EU law.
I received my law degree at the Università degli studi di Milano-Bicocca ( 5 years programme), a Master in European Legal Studies from the College of Europe in Bruges (Belgium) and my PhD from the University fo Twente.
25 March 2015: The experience of the Italian Presidency of the EU Council in the field of external relations, Conference organized by CLEER, the Centre for the law of EU External Relations at the T.M.C. Asser Instituut, The Hague.
- Volkskrant: Grenscontrole herinvoeren is lastig, 25 August 2015
- UTNieuws: Combating Terrorism Requires Multiple Actions, February 2015
- Kennislink: “Antiterreurwetten en mensenrechten botsen nogal eens in de EU”, January 2015
- 2013-2014: Jean Monnet grants for the research project titled “Human security as an operational framework for enhancing human rights protection in the EU’s Security and Migration policies”, research project designed with Dr Tamara Takács Senior Researcher at the T.M.C. Asser Institute
- 2011-2013: Prevention of fraud, corruption and bribery committed through legal entities for the purpose of financial and economic gain in the field of financial and economic crime, HOME/2010/ISEC/AG/081, project funded by the European Commission, DH Home, Brussels
- 2010: Research grant of 1500 Euro as junior visiting researcher from the Max Planck Institute for Public, Comparative and International Law
I have been teaching as guest lecturer and visiting lecturer at the University of Twente since the fall of 2009. Today, as assistant professor I teach in a number of courses in the European Public Administration and European Studies programs. Undergraduate modules and courses include: The Modern State, The EU and the World, European Legal Integration, European Legal Governance, EU External Legal Relations, and Introduction to Law.
Graduate course: European Union Law