Former Ph.D. Student
GENERAL INFORMATION AND RESEARCH PROJECTS
Ann-Kristin Kölln joined the department as a PhD student in 2009. She studied political science and law at the University of Münster (Germany) and graduated from Warwick University (UK) in 2009 with a Master’s degree in politics. During spring 2012 she was a Visiting PhD student at the Department of Political Science at the University of Gothenburg (Sweden).
In her PhD thesis she is working on the development of party organisations in Europe during the period 1960-2010. Under the working title of ‘Party Decline and Party Response in Europe’ her project is concerned with party organisational responses to party membership decline in six Western European countries. The project builds up on the hypotheses for the development of organisations during periods of party membership growth and collects data on organisational features for periods of membership decline. By means of quantitative time-series analyses the project aims at clarifying whether the relationship between party membership size and organisational features is symmetrical, asymmetrical, or disappears altogether during periods of membership decline.
At Twente, Ann-Kristin is part of the European Social Survey Netherlands team. Funded by the NWO, she is involved in the design of several population-based survey experiments. The methodological experiment compares two different sampling methods, address-based and person-based methods, as to their effects on response rates and data quality in general. The substantive experiments are designed to improve the knowledge generated by the survey items of voter turnout and party preferences.
During her time at the University of Gothenburg Ann-Kristin was part of the Multidisciplinary Opinion and Democracy Research Group. Her work there concerned primarily the relationship between representatives and citizens, as well as the concept of responsiveness.
Party politics, representative democracy, survey research
- Kölln, A. & Aarts, K. 2013. Signalling Through Voting Intention Polls Between Elections. Ch. 8 in: Esaiasson, P. & Narud, H.M. (eds.) Between-Election Democracy: The Representative Relationship After Election Day. Pp. 151-169. Colchester: ECPR.
- Kölln, A. (2013) Party organisational responses to membership decline in Europe. 3rd Annual Conference of the European Political Science Association: Barcelona (2013, 20-22 June).
- Kölln, A. (2013) Party organisational responses to membership decline in Europe. CCNER Pre-Conference Workshop to EPOP: Lancaster (2013, 13-15 September).
- Kölln, A. & Esaiasson, P. (2013) Two dimensions of citizens’ feelings of responsiveness: regime and incumbent responsiveness Annual conference of the Elections, Public Opinion and Parties (EPOP) specialist group: Lancaster (2013, 13 - 15 September).
- Kölln, A., Esaiasson, P. & Turper, S. (2013) External efficacy and perceived responsiveness- same, same or different? Annual conference of the Elections, Public Opinion and Parties (EPOP) specialist group: Lancaster (2013, 13 - 15 September).