Phone: +31 53 489 3364
Fax: +31 53 489 2159
Email: Giedo Jansen
Dr. Giedo Jansen (1984) is Assistant Professor at the Department of Public Administration. His research is on the intersection of sociology, political science and labor relations. Giedo holds a PhD in Sociology from the Radboud University Nijmegen on a thesis about social cleavages and voting behavior in modern democracies. Before joining the University of Twente, Giedo Jansen worked as a Postdoc researcher at the Department of Political Science in Nijmegen. In 2013, Giedo was awarded a prestigious VENI grant from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO) for a four-year research project (2014-2018) on self-employment and political alignments (see NWO website).
Giedo Jansen has been a visiting scholar at Nuffield College (University of Oxford) in 2009 (3 months) and 2015 (3 months), and at the European Trade Union Institute (Brussels) in 2013 (2 months).
Giedo’s most recent work includes a top-publication on the diffusion of labor strikes, published in the American Journal of Sociology (together with Roderick Sluiter and Agnes Akkerman). The first results from his ongoing research on self-employment have appeared in Acta Politica and in Socio-Economic Review.
Giedo Jansen is a member of the executive board and the treasurer of the Committee on Political Sociology (also known as Research Committee 18 of the ISA [International Sociological Association] and Research Committee 6 of the IPSA [International Political Science Association]). See: http://rc06.ipsa.org/
Areas of expertise
- Political sociology
- Voting behavior and electoral research
- Social stratification research
- Industrial and Labor Relations
International Peer-reviewed Journals
- Jansen, G. (in press). Solo Self-employment and Membership of Interest Organizations in the Netherlands: Economic, Social and Political Determinants. Economic and Industrial Democracy (Accepted for publication).
- Jansen, G. (2017). Farewell to the Rightist Self-employed? ‘New Self-employment’ and Political Alignments. Acta Politica, 52(3), 306–338.
- Jansen, G. & A. Akkerman, A. & K. Vandaele (2017). Undermining mobilization? The effect of job flexibility and job instability on the willingness to strike. Economic and Industrial Democracy. 38(1), 99-117
- Jansen, G. (2016). Farewell to the Rightist Self-employed? ‘New Self-employment’ and Political Alignments. Acta Politica: 1-33, doi:10.1057/s41269-016-0030-0.
- Jansen, G. (2016). Self-employment as Atypical or Autonomous Work: Diverging Effects on Political Orientations. Socio-Economic Review. Doi: 10.1093/ser/mww017
- Jansen, G., Sluiter, R & Akkerman, A. (2016).The Diffusion of Strikes. A Dyadic Analysis of Economic Sectors in the Netherlands, 1995-2007. American Journal of Sociology, 121(6). Pp. 1885-1918.
- Jansen, G. (2014). Effects of Union Organization on Strike Incidence in EU Companies. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 67(1), 3. 61-85.
- Jansen, G. & G. Evans, & N.D. de Graaf (2013). Class voting and Left-Right party positions: A comparative study of 15 Western democracies, 1960- 2005. Social Science Research, 42, 376-400.
- Jansen, G. & N.D. de Graaf & A. Need (2012). Explaining the Breakdown of the Religion-Vote Relationship in the Netherlands 1971-2006. West European Politics 35 (4), 756-783.
- Jansen, G. & N.D. de Graaf & A. Need (2011). Class Voting, social changes and political changes in the Netherlands 1971-2006. Electoral Studies 30, 510-524.
Books and Book Chapters
- De Graaf, N.D. & Jansen, G. (in press). The Netherlands: The Role of Cultural Conservatism Among Voters and Party Elites. In: K. Calvo, J.R. Montero & P. Segatti (Eds.) Religious Voting in Western Democracies: Past Legacies and New Conflicts. Oxford University Press.
- Jansen, G. & Akkerman, A. (2014). The Collapse of Collective Action? Employment Flexibility, Union Membership and Strikes in European Companies. In: M. Hauptmeier & M. Vidal (Eds). The Comparative Political Economy of Work. Palgrave Macmillan Series on Critical Perspectives on Work and Employment.
- Jansen, G & G. Evans, & N. D. de Graaf (2013). Class voting and Left-Right party positions: A comparative study of 15 Western democracies, 1960- 2005. In: G.Evans & N.D. de Graaf. Political Choice Matters. Explaining the Strength of Class and Religious Cleavages in Cross-National Perspective. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- De Graaf, N.D. & G. Jansen & A. Need (2013). The political evolution of social class and religion: An interpretation for the Netherlands 1971-2006. In: G. Evans & N.D. de Graaf. Political Choice Matters. Explaining the Strength of Class and Religious Cleavages in Cross-National Perspective. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Jansen, G. (2011). Social Cleavages and Political Choices. Large Scale Comparisons of Social Class, Religion and Voting Behaviour in Western Democracies. Nijmegen: ICS Dissertation, Radboud University
- Akkerman, A., Sluiter, R & Jansen, G (2015). Third European Company Survey – Direct and indirect employee participation. Eurofound Report: Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg.
Dutch Academic Publications
- Van Houten, G. & A. Akkerman, & R.Sluiter & G.Jansen & G. Vermeylen (2016). Directe en indirecte werknemersparticipatie in Europa. Tijdschrift voor Arbeidsvraagstukken, 32(2), 138-156.
- Sluiter, R. & F. Smits & A. Lehr & M. de Lange & G. Jansen (2011). Trends in evolutionisme in Nederland tussen 1979 en 2005: De rol van opleiding en religie. In: G. Kraaykamp & M. Levels & A. Need (Eds). Problemen en Theorieën in Onderzoek. Een staalkaart van de hedendaagse Nederlandse empirisch-theoretische sociologie. Assen: Van Gorcum: 375-392
- Jansen, G & J. Tolsma & N. D. de Graaf (2008). Vrijheid versus veiligheid. Wie steunt vrijheidsbeperking omwille van veiligheid in Nederland? (In English:Liberty versus Security Who supports the restriction of personal freedom by governmental means in order to increase collective security? Mens en Maatschappij 83 (1), 47-69.
Dutch Professional Publications
- Akkerman, A. & M. Born & G. Jansen, & A. Lehr & R. Sluiter (2014). Patronen van staken. Onstaan, verloop en verspreiding van arbeidsconflicten. Radboud University Nijmegen.
- Jansen, G. & A. Akkerman & A. Lehr (2012). De Verspreiding van Stakingen. Sociologie Magazine, 20 (4): 24-25