Research Interests and Professional background
Adrie Dassen holds a PhD degree from the University of Twente, where she defended her dissertation Networks: Structure and Action in 2010. Her PhD work dealt with the horizontal and vertical coordination upon which policy networks rely in order to be an effective and efficient mode of governance. However, rather than applying a policy network perspective, the project builds from social network models. The model that captures the horizontal coordination between stakeholders draws on actor-based models of network dynamics. It argues that structural holes and weak ties within the social structures of policy networks result in a situation where some actors have structural advantages over others and are therefore in a better position to realize their policy preferences. At the same time, the model that captures the vertical coordination, i.e. societal mode of coordination, builds on cohesive subgroups and cliques within social structures. It argues that such subgroups are better able to coordinate actions and act collectively, and are therefore able to produce policy proposals in this interdependent mode of coordination. Adrie is currently working on a two-year NWO-funded post-doctoral project (Humanities in the European Research Area (HERAVALUE)). Her research interests are in the areas of the theories and methodologies of network analysis; innovation processes and information diffusion in networks; the Europeanization of higher education and research; and organizational change.
- HERAVALUE (Humanities in the European Research Area) (2010-2012)
- Risk Analysis Portability Student Support (2010)
- University Cooperation Models (2010)
- Governance and Funding Reforms in the European Union (2009-2010)
- Tuition Fees and Access to Higher Education (2009-2010)
- Professional Masters (2009-2010)
- Regional Innovation Systems (2009-2010)
- European Summer School 2009: Modes of European Integration
- Steering Universities Network (2005-2009)
- Network Inventory University of Twente (2008)
- International Higher Education Monitor (2005-2008)
- System Steering (2006)
- Dassen, A (2010), Networks: Structure and Action. Steering in and Steering by Policy Networks, CHEPS Dissertation, CHEPS/UT 210p.
- Benneworth, P. A. Dassen, M. Faber, L. Leisyte, H. Vossensteyn (2010) Case studies on university collaboration models. An international comparative study, CHEPS Report 73p.
- Beerkens, M., A. Dassen, L. Leisyte, H. Vossensteyn, E. de Weert (2010) Professional Masters. An international comparative study. CHEPS Report 89p.
- Dassen, A. H. Vossensteyn (2010) Mobility and Student Support. A risk analysis of the portability of student support. CHEPS Report 36p.
- File, J. et. Al. (2010) Progress in Higher Education Reform across Europe. Governance Reform. CHEPS Report 121p.
- File, J. et. Al. (2010) Progress in Higher Education Reform across Europe. Funding Reform. CHEPS Report 113 p.
- Jongbloed, B. L. Cremonini, A. Dassen, M. Faber, H. Vossensteyn (2009) International overview of tuition fees and access arrangements. Experiences in Australia, Canada, Germany, The United Kingdom, and the USA. CHEPS Report 88p.
- Dassen, A., Enders, J., Vossensteyn, H., Kolster, R., Kottmann, A. (2008) Netwerkinventarisatie UT. Inventarisatie (inter)nationale netwerken, CHEPS report 60p.
- Kaiser, F., Beverwijk, J., Dassen, A., Deen, J., Jongbloed, B., Kaulisch, M., Kottmann, A., Leisyte, L., Vossensteyn, H. and Weert de, E. (2007), Issues in higher education policy 2006: An update on higher education policy issues in 2006 in 10Western countries, Den Haag, Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap, 2007, 66 p. Series: Beleidsgerichte studies Hoger onderwijs en Wetenschappelijk onderzoek, 127
- Dassen, A., and A. Luijten-Lub (2007), Higher education in Flanders, CHEPS report /International Higher Education Monitor Country report, 58 p
- Kaiser, F., Beverwijk, J., Cremonini, L., Dassen, A., Jongbloed, B., Kaulisch, M., Kottmann, A., Luijten-Lub, A., Salerno, C., Leisyte, L., Vossensteyn, H. and Weert de, E. (2006) Issues in higher education policy 2005: An update on higher education policy issues in 2005 in 10 Western countries, Den Haag, Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap, 2006, 63 p. Series: Beleidsgerichte studies Hoger onderwijs en Wetenschappelijk onderzoek, 121
- Higher Education in a European Perspective (European Studies)
- Institutional Design (Public Administration)
- Research Methodology (Public Administration/European Studies)