Maaike Endedijk works as a professor in Professional Learning in Organizations at the department Educational Sciences. Her main research interest is in self-directed professional learning at the workplace, with a focus on the technology, health and education sector. In her research projects, she focuses on the antecedents, consequences and interactions of individual and team-level processes of learning. Her ambition is to develop innovative measurement techniques (e.g., using sensor technology) to get more insights in this black box of learning processes. In addition, she also studies learning and professional development processes of students in the transition from education to work. Her dissertation, for example, was focused on student teachers’ self-directed learning. A list of her current research projects can be found below.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
2014 - present
Project leader and senior researcher in the project: “Mind the gap! The transition of STEM students to the technological labour market”. The project will result in a solution for the leak in technological human capital during the transition period from study to work. The project is carried out together with TechYourFuture, several high-tech firms positioned in Twente, Techniekpact Twente, University of Twente and Saxion. http://www.techyourfuture.nl/nl/a-351/mind-the-gap-de-doorstroom-van-bètastudenten-naar-de-technische-arbeidsmarkt
2014 - present
Senior researcher and co-project leader (with dr. Elze Ufkes) in the project “Measuring group processes with sensor technology in real-life situations”. The project will lead to the validation of instruments based on sensor technology for measuring group processes, such as informal social learning processes at the workplace (junior researcher: Stijn de Laat).
2014 - present
Co-promotor in the project “The best of both worlds: the interplay between self- and social regulation in teams” (PhD-student Marijn Wijga, Promotor Bernard Veldkamp).
2013 - present
Co-promotor in the project “Team learning of faculty during the implementation of Project-led Education” (PhD-student Rike Bron, Promotor Bernard Veldkamp)
2010 - present
Initiator and coordinator of an international research project on individual differences in learning to teach (2010-now, not funded). Together with partners from Belgium, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland we work on questions related to individual differences in learning to teach and the further (international) validation of a questionnaire.
Various research projects with Master students on professionals’ self-directed learning in the contexts of health, technology and education. For example:
- Learning paths of teachers, studying: intention, activities and outcomes to understand teacher learning at the workplace (Saskia Dannenberg, 2015)
- Learning paths of engineers: studying sequences of learning activities to understand knowledge workers’ professional development (Marit Hoekman, 2014)
- Self-directed learning in self-directed teams in a healthcare organization (Ilse Jolij, 2014)
- Exploring antecedents to engage in work-related learning for different types of nurses (Hildert Zoethout, 2013)
- Evaluation of a digital learning portfolio: how to stimulate self-directed learning among employees in health care (Linda Cornelissen, 2012)
TEACHING AND SUPERVISING
My teaching is both in the domain of Human Resource Development in the Master Educational Science & Technology (EST) and at the Academy of Advanced Technology, Liberal Arts and Sciences (ATLAS), the University College of the University of Twente. I am currently involved in the following courses:
- Coordinator and teacher of the EST-M course Regulation and facilitation of workplace learning
- Coordinator and teacher of the PSY-B3 module Professional learning in organizations
- Coordinator of the Final projects of the Master Educational Science and Technology, domain Human Resource Development.
In March 2011 I received the Educational Science and Technology (Onderwijskunde) Teacher of the Year 2010-2011 award.
SCIENTIFIC COLLABORATION AND ACADEMIC FUNCTIONS
2015 - present
Coordinator of the Special Interest Group Professional Development and Learning (SIG 14) of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction http://www.earli.org/special_interest_groups/learning_professional
2015 - present
Member of the Academic Board of TechYourFuture, expertise centre for technical education. http://www.techyourfuture.nl
2015 - present
Board member of the division Training, Vocational Education and Craftsmanship (BBV) of the VOR (Dutch Educational Research Association). http://www.vorsite.nl/nl/divisies-en-themagroepen/bbv.html
April – May 2014
Visiting scholar at the University of Antwerp, Belgium.
2010 - present
Member of the international Research network ‘Learning patterns in transition: dimensionality, validity and development’, financed by the FWO (Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek Vlaanderen). A netwerk of in total 8 international partners to stimulate exchange and development of research on learning patterns: http://www.ua.ac.be/learningintransition
2009 - 2013
Junior coordinator of EARLI’s Special Interest Group 11 Teaching and Teacher Education
- Endedijk, M. D., Brekelmans, M., Sleegers, P., & Vermunt, J. D. (2015). Measuring self-regulation of professional learning: bridging the gap between event and aptitude measurements. Quality & Quantity. doi:10.1007/s11135-015-0255-4
- Oude Groote Beverborg, A., Sleegers, P. J. C., Endedijk, M. D., & Van Veen, K. (2015). Towards sustaining levels of reflective learning: How do transformational leadership, task interdependence, and self-efficacy shape teacher learning in schools?. Societies, 5, 187-219. doi:10.3390/soc5010187
- Donche, V., Endedijk, M. D., & van Daal, T. (2015). Differential effects of a long teacher training internship on students’ learning-to-teach patterns. European Journal of Teacher Education, 1-12. doi:10.1080/02619768.2015.1057562
- Boevé, A. J., Bronkhorst, L. H., Endedijk, M. D., & Meijer, P. C. (2015). Tackling methodological challenges to gain new insight into the complexity of student teacher learning in a dual teacher education program. In V. Donche & S. De Mayer (Eds.), Methodological challenges and research perspectives on learning pattern research in formal and informal learning contexts: Garant.
- Endedijk, M. D., Vermunt, J. D., Meijer, P. C., & Brekelmans, M. (2014). Students’ development in self-regulated learning in postgraduate professional education: a longitudinal study. Studies in Higher Education, 39(7), 1116-1138. doi:10.1080/03075079.2013.777402
- Endedijk, M. D., Donche, V., & Oosterheert, I. (2014). Student teachers’ learning patterns in school-based teacher education programmes: the influence of person, context and time. . In D. Gijbels, V. Donche, J. T. E. Richardson, & J. D. Vermunt (Eds.), Learning patterns in Higher Education. London: Routledge.
- Endedijk, M. D., & Bronkhorst, L. H. (2014). Students’ learning activities within and between the contexts of education and work. Vocations and Learning, 7, 289-311. doi:10.1007/s12186-014-9116-x
- Endedijk, M. D., Brekelmans, M., Verloop, N., Sleegers, P., & Vermunt, J. D. (2014). Individual differences in student teachers' self-regulated learning: an examination of regulation configurations in relation to conceptions of learning to teach. Learning and Individual Differences, 30, 155-162. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2013.12.005
- Endedijk, M. D. (2014). How student teachers learn: the role of self-regulated learning. In K. H. Arnold, A. Gröschner, & T. Hascher (Eds.), Pedagogical field experiences in teacher education: Theoretical foundations, programmes, processes, and effects. Münster: Waxmann.
- De Groot, E., Endedijk, M. D., Jaarsma, D., Simons, P. R. J., & Van Beukelen, P. (2014). Critically reflective dialogues in learning communities of professionals. Studies in Continuing Education, 36(1), 15-37. doi:10.1080/0158037X.2013.779240
- Endedijk, M. D., & Vermunt, J. D. (2013). Relations between student teachers’ learning patterns and their concrete learning activities. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 39, 56-65. doi:10.1016/j.stueduc.2012.10.001
- De Groot, E., Endedijk, M. D., Jaarsma, D., Van Beukelen, P., & Simons, P. R. J. (2013). Development of critically reflective dialogues in communities of health professionals. Advances in Health Sciences Education, 18, 627-643. doi:10.1007/s10459-012-9403-y
- Endedijk, M. D., Vermunt, J. D., Verloop, N., & Brekelmans, M. (2012). The nature of student teachers’ regulation of learning in teacher education. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 82, 469-491. doi:10.1111/j.2044-8279.2011.02040.x
- De Groot, E., Jaarsma, D., Endedijk, M. D., Mainhard, M. T., Lam, I., Simons, P. R. J., & Van Beukelen, P. (2012). Critically reflective work behavior of healthcare professionals. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 32, 49-57. doi:10.1002/chp.21122
- Vermunt, J. D., & Endedijk, M. D. (2011). Patterns in teacher learning in different phases of the professional career. Learning and Individual Differences, 21, 294-302. doi:10.1016/j.lindif.2010.11.019
- De Groot, E., Van den Berg, B. A. M., Endedijk, M. D., Van Beukelen, P., & Simons, P. R. J. (2011). Critically reflective work behaviour within autonomous professionals’ learning communities. Vocations and Learning, 4, 41-62. doi:10.1007/s12186-010-9048-z
UNPUBLISHED CONFERENCE PAPERS (SELECTION)
- Endedijk, M. D., Ufkes, E. G., & de Laat, S. (2015). Studying work as it is: Using sensor technology to describe the temporal and spatial nature of interactions at work. Paper presented at the Studying work as it is: Capturing dynamics in workplace relationships, Brussels, Belgium.
- Endedijk, M. D. (2015, April). The new engineer: from a trained specialist to a self-directed learner. Keynote presented at Changing visions on learning: the self-directed learner. Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
- Bron, R., Endedijk, M. D., & Sleegers, P. J. C. (2015). Team learning for innovation in higher education: A mixed methods study. Paper presented at the EARLI conference, Limassol (Cyprus).
- Wits, W. W., Homminga, J., Endedijk, M. D., Visscher, K., Krab-Hüsken, L. E., Van den Berg, F., & Wilhelm, P. (2014). Teaching Design Engineering in an Interdisciplinary Programme. In B. Bohemia, A. Eger, W. Eggink, A. Kovacevic, B. Parkinson, & W. W. Wits (Eds.), Design Education & Human Technology Relations (pp. 377-383). Glasgow: The Design Society.
- Endedijk, M. D., Hoekman, M., & Sleegers, P. (2014). Learning paths of engineers: studying sequences of learning activities to understand knowledge workers’ professional development. Paper presented at the The 7th EARLI SIG 14 Conference, Oslo, Norway.
See https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Maaike_Endedijk/publications for the most recent overview and downloads of my publications.