Why and how do managers and entrepreneurs create, sustain and resist disruptive social and organizational change? And, how are such strategic change processes enabled and constrained by (a) institutional and market pressures, (b) organizational culture and politics, and (c) organizational design and performance management? These key questions at the intersection of organization theory, organizational behavior, and entrepreneurship drive both research and teaching.
This research can be labeled as ‘Entrepreneurial Leadership’ – basically encouraging initiative at all organizational levels. More precisely, three key questions are central to research. First, how can organizations manage to stay ahead of, or even shape the Schumpeterian creative destruction cycle? Second, entrepreneurial leadership demands certain organizational characteristics and behaviors, how to implement and evoke these respectively, if not or only scarcely present, and, in which contexts are they most effective? Third and foremost, organizations have an ever-increasing role, and thus responsibility, in our societies due to the growth of entrepreneurial activity, a shift from the public to the private sector, and the emergence of global enterprises. Hence, how to act responsibly in relation to the embedding of organizations in their communities and society in general?
Michel has worked with organizations in a wide variety of sectors, but particularly in professional services (incl. government, finance and nonprofits), information and communication technology, and (health) care.
- Entrepreneurial leadership and management of disruptive change
- Institutional entrepreneurship, organizational politics, social movements
- Entrepreneurial and managerial decision-making and cognition
- Organizational design and performance management, including technology implementation
Michel holds a PhD in Business Administration (Organization Theory / Organizational Behavior) from the University of Twente, for which he received the 2010 Best Dissertation Award of the Public and Nonprofit division of the Academy of Management – the oldest and largest scholarly management association in the world. Previously, he obtained an MSc in Public Administration from the University of Twente and completed the Dr. Hendrik Muller honors program of the Social Scientific Council, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). In 2016 he obtained an certificate in Leadership from IMD, Switzerland – ranked first worldwide in Executive open programs by the Financial Times.
Currently, he is chairing the Institute Council of the university’s IGS research institute. Furthermore, he coordinates the double degree program in Innovation and Entrepreneurship jointly offered by the Technische Universität Berlin and the University of Twente. Previously, he chaired the Faculty Council of the School of Management & Governance and the Program Committee of the BSc and MSc in (International) Business Administration. Also, he coordinated the Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Strategy profile within the Master of Business Administration at the University of Twente
Since 2011, Michel is a visiting professor at the Leadership Center of the University of Texas at Dallas; and since his sabbatical in 2015 an affiliated research fellow at the SME department of the Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota.
His research was published in various outlets including Technological Forecasting & Social Change, Social Science & Medicine, Government Information Quarterly, Human Resources for Health, and the Journal of Organizational Change Management. He primarily teaches in the BSc in Advanced Technology, the MSc in Business Administration and the Executive Master in Risk Management. Michel is part of the team that in 2014 received one of the first six awarded Twitter #datagrants for studying online cancer awareness campaigns such as #Movember.
ADVISOR FOR PHD PROJECTS
- Timo Fiorito (ongoing): Responsibility and Integrity in the Dutch Financial Sector; with prof. dr. ir. Petra de Weerd-Nederhof
- Koen Kuijpers (ongoing): Institutional Entrepreneurship for an Inclusive Labor Market; with prof. dr. Aard Groen
- Andres Camargo Benavides (ongoing): The Role of Colombian Print Industry Cooperatives in Supporting Member SMEs’ Exploration and Exploitation Activities; with prof. dr. Aard Groen
- Anna Priante (ongoing): #Identity Projects of Social Movement Organizations against Cancer: A Multi-level Study of the Influence of Online Identities on Offline Behaviors; with dr. Tijs van der Broek, prof. dr. Ariana Need and dr. Djoerd Hiemstra
- Ruud Koopman (ongoing): Coaching and Mentoring of Nascent Entrepreneurs; with prof. dr. Aard Groen
- Martin Stienstra (ongoing): A Cross-cultural Perspective on Entrepreneurial Processes; with prof. dr. Aard Groen
- Tijs van den Broek (defended 2016 with distinction): When Slacktivism Matters: On the Organization and Outcomes of Online Protest Targeting Firms; with prof. dr. Aard Groen and dr. David Langley (TNO)
- Arjan Frederiks (defended 2016 with distinction): On the Use of Imagination by Entrepreneurs; with prof. dr. Aard Groen
- Silvia Fernandes Costa (European PhD advisor, defended 2015 with distinction at ISCTE-IUL): Uncovering the Business Opportunity Prototype: Cognitive and Learning Aspects of Entrepreneurial Opportunity Recognition in Higher Education; with prof. dr. António Caetano (ISCTE-IUL)
- Wout Koelewijn (defended 2014): Doctors in Business: A Study into What Drives Physicians’ Entrepreneurship; with prof. dr. Wim van Harten and prof. dr. Aard Groen
- Supervision of Master and Bachelor graduation assignments (on topics related to the aforementioned research themes)
- Masterclass Business Administration, quartile 3, compulsory for double degree MSc in Business Administration with TUB or LUT
- Module Change Management and Leadership, coordinator, Executive MSc in Risk Management
- Module Systems Engineering, Entrepreneurship and Knowledge, quartile 4, coordinator, 2nd year BSc in Advanced Technology
- Entrepreneurial Leadership and Responsible Organizational Design, quartile 1, coordinator, core course for MSc in Business Administration
- Ehrenhard, M.L., Wijnhoven, A.B.J.M., Van den Broek, T.A. & Zinck Stagno, M. (2017). Unlocking How Start-ups Create Business Value with Mobile Applications: Development of an App-enabled Business Innovation Cycle. Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 115, 26-36. [link]
- Fernandes Costa, S.M., Ehrenhard, M.L., Caetano, A. & Santos, S. (2016). The Role of Different Opportunities in the Activation and Use of the Business Opportunity Prototype, Creativity and Innovation Management, 25(1), 58-72. [link]
- Wijnhoven, A.B.J.M., Ehrenhard, M.L. & Kuhn, J. (2015) Open Government Objectives and Participation Motivations, Government Information Quarterly, 32(1), 30-42. [link]
- Mueller, S, Walkse, J., D’Intino, R.S., Senjem, J., Newbert, S., Ehrenhard, M.L. & Robinson, J. (2015) What's Holding Back Social Entrepreneurship? Removing the Impediments to Theoretical Advancement, Journal of Social Entrepreneurship, 6(3), 245-256. [link]
- Ehrenhard, M.L., Kijl, B. & Nieuwenhuis, L.J.M. (2014) Market Adoption Barriers of Multi-stakeholder Technology: Smart Homes for the Ageing Population, Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 89, 306-315. [link]
- Koelewijn, W.T., De Rover, M., Ehrenhard, M.L. & Van Harten, W.H. (2014) Physician Entrepreneurship Explained: A Case Study of Intra-organizational Dynamics in Dutch Hospitals and Specialty Clinics, Human Resources for Health, 12(28), 1-12. [link]
- Meijerink, J.G., Ten Kattelaar, J. & Ehrenhard, M.L. (2014) Structuring Shared Services: Realizing SSC Benefits Through End-Users’ Usage of an HR Portal, Advanced Series in Management, 13, 105-132.
- Koelewijn, W.T., Ehrenhard, M.L., Groen, A.J. & Van Harten, W.H. (2014) Exploring personal interests of physicians in hospitals and specialty clinics, Social Science & Medicine, 100, 93-98. [link]
- Frederiks, A.J., Ehrenhard, M.L. & Groen, A.J. (2013) How Do Nascent Entrepreneurs Use Imagination in the Venture Creation Process? A Weekly Diary Study, Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, 33 (4).
- Van den Broek, T.A., Ehrenhard, M.L., Langley, D.J. & Groen, A.J. (2012) Dotcauses for sustainability: Combining Activism and Entrepreneurship, Journal of Public Affairs, 12(3), 214-223. [link]
- Koelewijn, W.T., Ehrenhard, M.L., Groen, A.J. & Van Harten, W.H. (2012) Intra-Organizational Dynamics as Drivers of Entrepreneurship by Physicians and Managers in Hospitals, Social Science & Medicine, 75(5), 795-800. [link]
- Ehrenhard, M.L., Muntslag, D.R. & Wilderom, C.P.M. (2012) Challenges to Implementation of Fiscal Sustainability Measures, Journal of Organizational Change Management, 25(4), 612-629. [link]
- Ehrenhard, M., Ruël, H., and Bondarouk, T. (2011). Technology in Work Organizations, in M. Butler & E. Rose (eds.), Introduction to Organizational Behavior, London, UK: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, CIPD House, pp. 374–398. [link]
- Feng, X., Ehrenhard, M.L. Hicks, J.N. & Maathuis, S.J. (2010) A User- Oriented Model for Global Enterprise Portal Design, International Journal of Networking and Virtual Organizations, 7(4), 308-322. [link]
- Ehrenhard, M.L. (2009) The Structuration of Managing for Results: A Practice Perspective on Middle Managers in the Dutch Central Government, Enschede: University of Twente – PhD thesis, ISBN#978-90-365-2819-1, 376p. [http://dx.doi.org/10.3990/1.9789036528191]
- Ehrenhard, M.L. (2006) Implementing Enterprise Systems in the Public Sector, in A.-V. Anttiroiko & M. Malkia (eds.), Encyclopedia of Digital Government (Vol. III), Hershey, PA: Idea Group, pp. 1006-1010, ISBN#1-59140-789-3. [link] [partial PDF]
- Batterink, M., Cijsouw, R., Ehrenhard, M., Moonen, H. & Terlouw, P. (Eds.) (2005), Selected Papers from the 8th PhD Conference on Business Economics, Management and Organization Science, Enschede: PReBEM/NOBEM, ISBN#90-365-2191-2.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PAPERS (≥2014)
- Frederiks, A.J., Ehrenhard, M.L. & Groen, A.J. (2016) Exploring the Use of Imagination by Experienced High-Tech Entrepreneurs. Academy of Management conference, Anaheim, CA, August 4-9.
- Loohuis, R.P.A. & Ehrenhard, M.L. (2016) A Temporal Perspective on Phronetic Strategizing: Exploring Strategy Making in Unsettled Times. European Group of Organization Studies conference, Napels, Italy, July 7-9 (selected as best paper of track)
- Stienstra, M.R., Ehrenhard, M.L. & Groen, A.J. (2016) Cognitive Styles and their Influence on New Venture Creation: Implications for Entrepreneurship Education. Effectuation conference, Bodo, Norway, June 5-7.
- Ehrenhard, M.L., Wijnhoven, A.B.J.M. & Alink, T. (2016). A Case Study of High Reliability Organizing at a Hosting Provider: Motivations and Knowledge for Effective Incident Handling. International Conference on Organizational Knowledge, Learning and Capabilities, St. Andrews, UK, April 26-28.
- Van den Broek, T.A., Need, A., Ehrenhard, M.L., Priante, A. & Hiemstra, D.J. (2015) The Influence of Prosocial Norms and Online Network Structure on Prosocial Behavior: An Analysis of Movember’s Twitter Campaign in 24 Countries. Social Media, Activism and Organizations (#SMAO15) symposium, London, UK, November 6.
- Nguyen, D., Van den Broek, T.A., Hauff, C., Hiemstra, D., & Ehrenhard, M.L. (2015) #SupportTheCause: Identifying Motivations to Participate in Online Health Campaigns. EMNLP conference, Lisbon, Portugal, September 17-21.
- Rank, J., Ehrenhard, M., Overath, A., Struefing, S., Ebel, N., Funk, M., Stolle, T. (2015) The Role of Humble Leadership for Creativity and Innovation. British Academy of Management conference, Portsmouth, UK, September 8-10 (best developmental paper track)
- Van den Broek, T.A., Ehrenhard, M.L., Langley, D.J., Groen, A.J. (2015) Never the Twain Shall Meet? How Activist Groups Combine Backstage and Frontstage Tactics to Promote Socially Responsible Investment Policy, Vancouver, BC, Canada, August 6-9.
- Van den Broek, T.A., Ehrenhard, M., Langley, D. & Groen, A.J. (2015) Activist versus Slacktivist: A Dual Path Model of Online Protest Mobilization. Academy of Management conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada, August 7-11 (best paper proceedings)
- Frederiks, A.J., Ehrenhard, M.L. & Groen, A.J. (2015) Using Imagination to Create Better Business Opportunities? An Experimental Study. Babson College Entrepreneurship Research conference, Boston, MA, June 10-13.
- Stienstra, M.R., Singaram, R. & Ehrenhard, M.L. (2015) One Size Fits All? The Role Of Cognitive Styles In Teaching Entrepreneurial Decision-making For Novices. Babson College Entrepreneurship Research conference, Boston, MA, June 10-13.
- Loohuis, R.P.A. & Ehrenhard, M.L. (2014) A Sociomaterial Perspective on Temporal Work: Practice Breakdowns during Strategic Upheaval. Academy of Management conference, Philadelphia, PA, August 1-5.
- Van den Broek & Ehrenhard, M.L. (2014) Reviewing the Role of Media Attributes in Mobilizing Protest Participation. Academy of Management conference, Philadelphia, PA, August 1-5.
- Meenks, M., Ehrenhard, M.L. & Hoffmann, P. (2014) Better Off Alone?: SME Preferences for Joining a Cooperative Purchasing Group. Academy of Management conference, Philadelphia, PA, August 1-5.
- Frederiks, A.J., Ehrenhard, M.L. & Groen, A.J. (2014) The Role of Imagination in High-Technology Entrepeneurship, Babson College Entrepreneurship Research conference, London Ontario, Canada, June 4-7.
- Workshop for practitioners (2015) PPT: Draagvlak op de werkvloer: participatief ontwikkelen; ‘Innoveren en Veranderen door Sociaal Ondernemen’ symposium jointly organized by Extend MVO and University of Twente
- Short lecture (2014) Video: Introduction to organization theory; short promo lecture for the BSc International Business Administration
- Lecture for practitioners (2013) Video: Verandermanagement en duurzame aanpassing van de eigen organisatie; ‘Duurzame winst in het kwadraat’ symposium for professionals
- Opinion piece (2013) Weblink: Governance en de menselijke maat; UT Nieuws Magazine in relation to merger faculties
- White paper (2012) PDF: Thinking Fast and Slow? Business versus Academic thinking; Leadership center, University of Texas at Dallas
- Lecture for practitioners (2012) PPT: De overheid en (maatschappelijk) ondernemen; lecture for managers and professionals departments of social and economic affairs, municipalities Dordrecht, Enschede and Zwolle
- Lecture for practitioners (2010) Prezi: Succesvol de organisatiecultuur veranderen: De rol van improvisatie en ‘mindfulness’ in het strategisch veranderproces; ‘Actualiteitencollege’ symposium for professionals
- Interview (2010) Weblink: Manager moet creatief zijn; UT Nieuws in relation to AOM-PNP dissertation award
RESEARCH GRANTS AND AWARDS
- 2016 Research grant funded by De Nederlandsche Bank N.V. (with prof. Olaf Fisscher) for a PhD project on Responsibility and Integrity in the Dutch Financial Sector
- 2016 Best paper, Sub-theme 20: Invisible/Silent Aspects of Change – The Role of Phronesis in Managing Organizational Change, European Group for Organizational Studies conference (with Raymond Loohuis)
- 2015 Small travel grant funded by the School of Behavioral, Management and Social Sciences for research visit to the Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, September/ October 2015
- 2015 Best Developmental paper, Leadership and Leadership Development divison, British Academy of Management conference (with Johannes Rank (TU Berlin), Anna Overath, Stella-Oriana Strufing, Nadja Ebel, Martin Funck, and Tim Stolle).
- 2015 Research grant funded by Colciencias (Colombian National Science Foundation; with Andres Camargo Benavides) for a PhD project on Cooperatives as Social Enterprises
- 2015 Research grant funded by Extend/Soweco N.V. (with prof. Olaf Fisscher) for a PhD project on Social Entrepreneurship for an Inclusive Labor Market
- 2015 Research grant funded by School of Behavioral, Management and Social sciences (with Tijs van den Broek, Djoerd Hiemstra, prof. Ariana Need) for PhD project on how Twitter awareness campaigning affects cancer prevention and early detection behavior
- 2014 Twitter #datagrant (with Tijs van den Broek, Djoerd Hiemstra, prof. Ariana Need) for the diffusion and effectiveness of cancer early detection campaigns on Twitter
- 2012 Research grant funded by Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs to study business models for home automation
- 2011 Research grant funded by TNO (with Tijs van den Broek, TNO) for a PhD project on online social movements and firms
- 2010 Best dissertation award, Public and Nonprofit division, Academy of Management
- 2007 Research grant funded by Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, PwC, and Institute for Innovation and Governance Studies (with prof. Dennis Muntslag) for a PhD project on policy implementation networks
- 2006 Small travel grant funded by the dean of the School of Management and Governance
- 2006 Research grant funded by Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment (with prof. Dennis Muntslag, UT) to study implementation of Managing for Results in support departments
- Member of a DARE research seminar panel on "Bringing in context and generalizing results - a paradox or antidate" together with Roy Thurik (Erasmus University) and Davide Ianuzzi (VU University), December 2, 2016, VU University, Amsterdam
- Member editorial board Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 2016-
- Member editorial board PSU Research Review, 2016-
- Ad-hoc reviewer: e.g. Journal of Management Studies, Journal of Business Ethics, British Journal of Management, Technovation, Technological Forecasting & Social Change, Journal of Small Business Management, Journal of Managerial Psychology, BMC Health Services Research, Academy of Management Executive, Journal of Organizational Change Management, Creativity and Innovation Management, Journal of Knowledge Management, International Journal of HRM, Journal of Public Affairs, SAGE Open
- Co-organizer of a 2016 Academy of Management Professional Development Workshop “Teaching Sustainability to Managers: Reframing as an Effective Pedagogical Tool” with Bhutiani, P. Nair, Groen, Dess, Farber and Belousova
- Co-chair (with Dilek Cetindamar, Sabanci University) of a 2016 R&D Management conference track titled “Social Innovation”
- Member evaluation committee 2nd round Tech4People investment scheme, Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences, 2016
- Co-organizer of the 2016 “#SupportTheCause” symposium (with Tijs van den Broek, Ariana Need, Anna Priante (BMS), Djoerd Hiemstra and Dong Nguyen (EWI)) on online protest and advocacy campaigns with speakers from academia and industry, incl. Twitter and Sanquin representatives.
- Coordinator of the Entrepreneurship, Innovation & Strategy track (incl. the Innovative Entrepreneurship profile) within the MSc in Business Administration, 2015-2016
- Co-organizer of a 2015 Academy of Management Professional Development Workshop “Teaching Sustainable Strategies to Managers: Science, Practice and Philosophy” with Bhutiani, P. Nair (organizers), Haugh, Dess, Merchant, Stubbs, Groen, Love, Burke (discussants), Bhutiani, P. Nair, Hicks, B. Nair, Ogbanufe (presenters)
- Chair of the Program Committee (OLC) BSc and MSc (International) Business Administration, 2015-2016
- Co-organizer of the 2015 “Innoveren en Veranderen door Sociaal Ondernemen” symposium for SMEs on Inclusive Entrepreneurship, jointly organized by Extend MVO / Soweco and NIKOS / University of Twente
- Member Program Committee (OLC) BSc Advanced Technology, 2014-
- Member of NIKOS management board, 2014-
- Member (Chair since May 2015) of the Institute Council of the Institute for Innovation and Governance Studies (IGS), 2014-
- Coordinator of the MSc double degree in Innovation and Entrepreneurship with the Berlin Institute of Technology, 2012-
- Member of Faculty Advisory Committee for appointment of new dean for School of Behavioral, Management and Social Sciences, 2014
- Member of steering committee for merger School of Management and Governance and School of Behavioral Sciences, 2013-2014
- Member as employee representative (Chair since Sept. 2011) of the Faculty Council of the School of Management and Governance (since mid 2014 co-chair due to merger of School of Management and Governance and School of Behavioral Sciences), University of Twente, 2010-2015
- Member 2014 Best dissertation award committee (with Robert Christensen (chair) and Amanda Girth), Public and Nonprofit division, Academy of Management
- Reviewer for the 2014 Postacademic Researchers International Mobility Experience program of the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
- Member 2013 Best dissertation award committee (with Matthew Liao-Troth (chair) and Margaret Taylor), Public and Nonprofit division, Academy of Management
- Presenter and roundtable host at a 2013 Academy of Management Professional Development Workshop titled: “What’s Holding Back Social Entrepreneurship? Removing the Impediments to Theoretical Advancement” with Susan Mueller, Bob D’Intino, Jennifer Walske (organizers), Tina Dacin, Scott Newbert, Jeffrey Robinson, Felipe Santos, Jason Senjem (presenters and roundtable hosts)
- Co-organizer (with Padmakumar Nair and Jeff Hicks, both University of Texas at Dallas) of a 2010 Academy of Management conference caucus titled: “Entrepreneurial Passion: Powering an Economic Recovery?” with panelists Gregg Dess (University of Texas at Dallas), Aard Groen and Shaker Zahra (University of Minnesota)
- Member of the jury for ‘Best PhD-student poster’ at the 2009 and 2011 Institute for Innovation and Governance Studies research day
- Initiator and co-convened with Shaker Zahra (University of Minnesota) and Jeroen Kraaijenbrink the 2009 EGOS colloquium sub-theme 25: “Energizing Entrepreneurship: The Role of Industry Knowledge Structures in Creating, Assessing, and Embedding New Business Ventures”
- Co-organizer of the 8th NOBEM “PhD Conference on Business Economics, Management and Organization Science”, Amersfoort, the Netherlands