After graduation as a chemist, Fer started his career as a chemistry teacher. He taught chemistry from 1978 till 1992 at two secondary schools in the Netherlands and two years at the Escola Secundária Francisco Manyanga in Mozambique. In 1992 he moved to the University of Swaziland where he was employed as chemistry educator in the Department of In-service of the Faculty of Education. The main aim of this department was to improve the teaching of mathematics and the natural sciences at high school level through the development of exemplary learning materials disseminated at national and regional workshops.
In 1998 Fer joined the department of teacher training (ELAN) at the University of Twente, where he worked both in pre-service as in in-service. His research interests are on professional development of science teachers and on student learning.
In 2018 he joined the department of Instructional Technology where he will be working in the Go-Ga project.
- Chemistry education
- Student learning
- Teacher professional development
- VELON, Duth association of Teacher Educators
- KNCV, Royal Duth Chemical Society
- NVON, Duth associatio of teachers in thenatural sciences
- VOR, Netherlands Educational Research Association
- ASE, Association for Science Education
- Coenders, Fer., & Verhoef, Nellie (2018). Lesson Study: professional development (PD) for beginning and experienced teachers. Professional development in education. doi: 10.1080/19415257.2018.1430050
- Coenders, Fer & Verhoef, Nellie (2018). 'Lesson Study' voor het ontwikkelen van vakdidactische competenties van beginnende leraren secundair onderwijs: Een casestudy. In Sanne de Vos, Johan de Wilde, Simon Beausaert (Eds.), Start to teach, inspiratiegids voor aanvangsbegeleiding in het onderwijs. 77-94. Antwerpen-Apeldoorn: Garant
- Visser, T., Maaswinkel, T., Coenders, F., & McKenney, S. (2018). Writing prompts help improve expression of conceptual understanding in chemistry. Journal of Chemical Education. doi:10.1021/acs.jchemed.7b00798
- Coenders, F. G. M. (2016). The use of a student group log to facilitate student and teacher learning. Chemistry education : research and practice, 17, 962-972. doi: 10.1039/C6RP00091F
- Coenders, F. G. M. (2015). Docentontwikkelteams en de professionalisering van docenten. Nieuwe meso, 2015(1), 62-66.
- Goei, S. L., Verhoef, N. C., Coenders, F. G. M., de Vries, S., & van Vugt, F. (2015). Een lesson study team als een professionele leergemeenschap. Tijdschrift voor lerarenopleiders, 36(4), 83-90
- Coenders, Fer and Terlouw, Cees (2015) A model for in-service teacher learning in the context of an innovation. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 26(5). 451-470.
- Verhoef, N.C., Coenders, F.G.M., Pieters, J.M., Smaalen, D. van, & Tall, David O. (2015). Professional development through lesson study: teaching the derivative using GeoGebra. Professional development in education, 41(1), 109-126.
- Visser, Talitha C., Coenders, Fer G.M., Terlouw, Cees, & Pieters, Jules (2013). Evaluating a professional development programme for implementation of a multidisciplinary science subject. Journal of education and training studies, 1(2), 89-102.
- Anto, A.G., Coenders, F.G.M., & Voogt, J.M. (2012). Assessing the current implementation of communicative language teaching for English language teachers in Ethiopian universities. Staff and educational development international, 16, 51-69.
- All publications: https://research.utwente.nl/en/persons/fer-gm-coenders/publications/