Room: Cubicus B224
Phone: +31 53 4893656
After working for a year in the unit of Margaret Wang at the Learning Research and Development Centre in Pittsburgh, I started my PhD research on the topic of questioning at the University of Leiden. Through various projects I became interested instructional design and technology. This brought me to the University of Twente where I did a range of studies on what is now called e-learning. Recent research revolves around: instructional videos, scaffolding text comprehension, and scaffolding game-based learning.
Self-instructional materials, minimalist design approach, instructional video, scaffolding text comprehension (QuikScan), scaffolding game-based learning, pedagogical agents and questioning.
My courses generally concentrate on learning & instructional design theories. The didactic approach that I follow is problem-based. Short moments of instruction are followed with real or realistic tasks to assist students in developing their design attitudes, knowledge and skills so that they are trained in taking on the roles of researcher, designer and advisor.
- Van der Meij, H., Van der Meij, J., & Harmsen, R. (2015). Animated pedagogical agents effects on enhancing student motivation and learning in a science inquiry learning environment. Educational Technology Research & Development, 63(3), 381-403. DOI: 10.1007/s11423-015-9378-5
- Van der Meij, J., & Van der Meij, H. (2015). A test on the design of a video tutorial for software training. Journal of Computer-Assisted-Learning, 31(2), 116-132.
- Van der Meij, H., & Van der Meij, J. (2014). A comparison of paper-based and video tutorials for software learning. Computers & Education, 78, 150-159.
- DOI: 10.1016/j.compedu.2014.06.003
- Van der Meij, H. (2014). Developing and testing a video tutorial for software training. Technical Communication, 61(2), 110-122.
- Van der Meij, H., & Van der Meij, J. (2013). Eight guidelines for the design of instructional videos for software training. Technical Communication, 60(3), 205-228.
- Van der Meij, H., Leemkuil, H.H., & Li, J-L (2013). Does individual or collaborative self-debriefing better enhance learning from games? Computers in Human Behavior, 29, 2471-2479.
- DOI information: 10.1016/j.chb.2013.06.001
- Van der Meij, H., Van der Meij, J., & Farkas, D. (2013). QuikScan formatting as a means to improve text recall. Journal of Documentation, 69(1), 81-97.
- Van der Meij, H., & Van der Meij, J. (2012). Improving text recall with multiple summaries. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 82(2), 257-269-664. DOI: 10.1111/j.2044-8279.2011.02024.x
- Van der Meij, H., Albers, E., & Leemkuil, H. (2011). Learning from games. Does collaboration help? British Journal of Educational Technology, 42(4), 655-664. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2010.01067.x