Maarten J. IJzerman, PhD
Professor, Health Technology & Services Research, chair HTA & Personalized Medicine Deputy dean, Health & Biomedical Technology
University of Twente
Faculty Behavioral & Management Science
Health Technology & Services Research
Ravelijn building, room 5.248
Faculty Science and Technology
Dean’s office, Carré building, room 3.043
7500 AE Enschede, the Netherlands
Telephone: +31 53 489 3684
Maarten IJzerman is a full professor in the department Health Technology & Services Research at the University of Twente, the Netherlands. He is the deputy dean for Health & Biomedical Technology in the Faculty for Science and Technology, overseeing the health related programs at the University of Twente.
Maarten’s main interest is technological innovation in healthcare. Most of his current work is on the application of outcomes research and decision analytic models to evaluate the health economic impact of diagnostic and imaging technologies for personalizing healthcare, in particular oncology. He is one of pioneers in the field of early Health Technology Assessment, a research program to determine the added value of new medical technologies in development. A specific methodological contribution is the use of multi-criteria decision models and conjoint analysis to value health services and to elicit stakeholder- and patient preferences for health outcomes and technology. He has more than 150 peer-reviewed articles in the intersection of engineering, medicine and outcomes research.
Between September 2013 and May 2014 he was the acting scientific director of the MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine. Maarten IJzerman is a visiting adjunct professor at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland (USA), a visiting research scientist at the Luxembourg Institute of Health and the University Medical Center Groningen.
Current and past external activities
- Member supervisory board Radiotherapiegroup, institute for radiotherapy
- Chair PharmacoEconomic guidelines committee, Zorginstituut Nederland (ZINL)
- Member scientific advisory committee Cancer-ID (www.cancer-id.eu)
- Member ISPOR taskforce Simulation Modeling
- Chair ISPOR taskforce “Multi-Criteria Decision Aanalysis”
- Member board of directors ISPOR 2013-2015
- Member scientific committee ECCO 2017
- Member scientific subcommittee public health and health economics ESMO 2017
Maarten IJzerman has authored over 150 peer reviewed articles. Selection of key-publications:
- Rogowski WH, John J, IJzerman MJ. Translational Health Economics. In: World Scientific Handbook of Global Health Economics and Public Policy. 3rd ed. World Scientific Publishing Company; 2016.
- Marsh K, IJzerman MJ, Thokala P, Baltussen R, Boysen M, Kalo Z, et al. Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis for Health Care Decision Making-Emerging Good Practices: Report 2 of the ISPOR MCDA Emerging Good Practices Task Force. Value Health. 2016 Mar;19(2):125–37.
- Broekhuizen H, Groothuis-Oudshoorn CGM, van Til JA, Hummel JM, IJzerman MJ. A Review and Classification of Approaches for Dealing with Uncertainty in Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis for Healthcare Decisions. Pharmacoeconomics. 2015 Jan 29;33(5):–455.
- Marshall DA, Burgos-Liz L, IJzerman MJ, Crown W, Padula WV, Wong PK, et al. Selecting a Dynamic Simulation Modeling Method for Health Care Delivery Research-Part 2: Report of the ISPOR Dynamic Simulation Modeling Emerging Good Practices Task Force. Value Health. 2015 Mar;18(2):147–60.
- IJzerman MJ, Manca A, Keizer J, Ramsey SD. Implementing Comparative Effectiveness Research in Personalized Medicine Applications in Oncology: Current and Future Perspectives. Comparative Effectiveness Research. 2015 Nov 26;5:65–72.
- IJzerman MJ, Steuten LMG. Early Assessment of Medical Technologies to Inform Product
Development and Market Access. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2011 Sep;9(5):331–47.
Current projects and outreach
- CTC-TRAP (EU FP7 program)
- Early modeling of circulating tumor cells in whole blood in breast and prostate cancer, using therapeutic apheresis
- Luxembourg Institute of Health (evidence synthesis and health economic modeling)
- Analysis of preference heterogeneity in stated preference and MCDA models
- CTC-SWITCH trial
- Health economic modeling of early treatment switches from docetaxel to cabazitaxel treatment based on CTC and other blood based markers
- Cancer treatment and monitoring through identification of circulating tumor cells and tumor related nucleid acids in blood
- REPLACE-IT (UMCG)
- Replacing invasive coronary angiography with noninvasive imaging (CT angio and MRI)
- Personalized follow-up strategies in breast-cancer based on risk prediction
- Valuing medical treatments using probabilistic multi-criteria decision models incorporating patient preferences
- Early modelling of blood markers for early detection of breast cancer metastasis
- PREFERENCES IN PARKINSON
- Use of best-worse scaling in parkinson’s disease: the influence of process utility on treatment decision making
- PORTFOLIO ANALYSIS HYBRID SURGERY
- Portfolio analysis of the value of innovations in imaging for the hybrid operating room
Maarten IJzerman has been the founder of PANAXEA b.v. and now regularly consults for medical device, biotech and pharma-companies interested in stakeholder preference modelling, multi-criteria decision analysis and (early) health economic modeling