PO Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
Telephone:(053) 489 5657
Fax: (053) 489 2159
Pricivel joined the department of Health Technology and Services Research of the School of Management and Governance in 2012 after postdoctoral appointments in Austria and Germany and completing her academic qualifications from the University of Hamburg – Faculty of Law and Ruprecht-Karls University of Heidelberg – Faculty of Medicine. In pursuit of sustainable health systems, she conducts research on healthcare financing and the translation of evidence and dissemination of health policy. The link between the topics is made pronounce in terms of the dissemination and implementation of (near-patient) innovation in health and healthcare, including personalized healthcare, within and across health systems. Pricivel teaches in and coordinates the modules Health Economics and Accounting and Health and Health Systems.
Precivil’s research portfolio is made up of three pillars that have health systems research and health economics – and policy to the extent that health economics is preoccupied with positive questions, at the core. These cover the (1) political economy of health expenditures and reforms, (2) globalization of health services’ consumption and provision and (3) sine qua non of well-functioning health care systems. In joining HTSR, she consolidates these pillars and leverages the inertia at and inroad of HTSR in conducting research on the effectiveness of new medical technology in developing a research agenda on the economics of screening and diagnosis. The goal is to establish evidence on the use of technologies in disease prevention and management of diseases and the impact of such in the organization of health care.
SELECTED Publications (2007-Present)
- Carrera P. How to deal with institutional barriers. Health Affairs (Milwood); http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/31/5/1030.abstract/reply#healthaff_el_468591.
- Carrera P. Re: Medicine is our vocation: Of benchmarking (and bashing) healthcare systems. BMJ; http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e3418/rr/585965.
- Runnels V and Carrera P. Why do patients engage in medical tourism? Maturitas. In press.
- Carrera P. Health workforce problem in a globalized world. Health Affairs (Milwood), 30(4): 799.
- Carrera P. The importance of public health spending. Health Affairs (Milwood), 30(10): 2027.
- Lunt N and Carrera P. Advice for prospective medical tourists: Systematic review of consumer sites. Tourism Review, 66(1/2): 57-67.
- Carrera P and Carrera P. Transforming patients into consumers of health care. Health Affairs (Milwood), 29(9): 1749.
- Carrera P and Lunt N. A European perspective on medical tourism: The need for a knowledge base. International Journal of Health Services and Research, 40(3): 669-684.
- Lunt N and Carrera P. Medical tourism: Assessing the evidence on treatment abroad. Maturitas, 66: 27-32.
- Carrera P. Ethical prescribing. Health Affairs (Milwood), 28(6): 1861-1862.
- Carrera P, Kinder Siemens K and Bridges J. Post-reunification financing reforms in the German social health insurance system: Rethinking the evolutionary approach to reforms. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, 33(5): 979-1005.
- Bridges J, Loukanova S and Carrera P. Empowerment and health care. In International Encyclopedia of Public Health, K. Heggenhougen and S. Quah (Eds.), pp.17-28. San Diego, USA: Academic Press.
- Carrera P. Investing health care resources. Health Affairs (Milwood), 27(1): 301-302.
- Carrera P and Bridges J. Health financing reforms in Germany: The relevance of all stakeholders. Harvard Health Policy Review, 9(1): 17-25.
- Carrera P. Patient Choice and Responsibility in the Contemporary Times - The Case of the German Social Health Insurance System. Saarbrueken, Germany: Vdm Verlag Dr. Mueller E.K.
SELECTED PUBLIC PRESENTATIONS (2007-Present)
- 2012 15th European Congress, International Society for Pharmaco-Economics and Outcomes Research, Berlin, Germany
- 9th European Congress on Health Economics, Zürich, Switzerland
- 2011 14th European Congress, International Society for Pharmaco-Economics and Outcomes Research, Madrid, Spain
- 8th World Congress, International Health Economics Association, Toronto, Canada
- School of Public Policy Seminar Series, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- 2010 20th International Conference, European Association for Research on Services
- Gothenburg, Sweden
- 8th European Congress on Health Economics, Helsinki, Finland
- 2009 2nd Annual Conference, European Association of Health Law, Edinburgh, Scotland
- 9th Annual Conference, European Academy of Management Conference, Liverpool, England
- 2008 16th World Congress of Epidemiology Porto Alegre, Brazil
- Annual Conference, European Health Management Association, Athens, Greece
- 2007 6th World Congress, International Health Economics Association, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1st Conference towards Sustainable Global Health, Bonn, Germany
- 3rd Advances in Tourism Economics Conference
- Vila Nova de Santo André, Portugal