EER BSc art. 4.4 Module description & assessment scheme
8) The examination board can in specific individual cases affect special arrangements regarding assessment.
EER BSc art. 8.7 Hardship Clause
The Examination Board or the Programme Board may allow, depending on the subject, deviation from the provisions of these Regulations in the event of demonstrably compelling unreasonableness or unfairness. Leading is, which board, according to this regulation, has the competence to make an exception or a decision on the matter.
EER MSc art. 4.5.4
a. Units of study and their exams can be offered more than once per academic year. In these cases students may participate in the exams at a maximum of two occasions, unless otherwise stated in the programme specific appendix.
b. There is in any case at least one opportunity to sit an exam in the period in which the applicable unit of study had been taught.
2) Practical exercises can be completed at least once per year.
3) In contradiction with that determined in paragraph 1 of this article, an opportunity to take an exam for a unit of study that is part of the curriculum, but which was not taught during that particular academic year, shall be offered at least once per academic year.
4) In exceptional individual cases, the examination board can deviate from the number of times and the manner in which exams can be taken.
EER MSc 8.4 TRANSITIONAL ARRANGEMENT
6) In exceptional cases, and if this is to the student’s advantage, the examination board may allow a deviation from the number of times and the way in which interim examinations may be taken for a unit of study that is no longer included.
EER MSc 8.7 HARDSHIP CLAUSE
In the event of demonstrable, considerable unreasonableness and unfairness, the examination board or the programme board can permit deviation from the provisions of these regulations. Leading is, which board, according to this regulation, has the competence to make an exception or a decision on the matter.
The examination board distinguishes two situations when it comes to requests for an extra exam/test opportunity:
- When you fail a (part of) a unit of study because of personal circumstances you can submit a request to the examination board for an extra exam/test opportunity. However, if the examination board acknowledges these personal circumstances, in most cases the board will grant an extra opportunity in addition to the (usually 2) regular opportunities in that academic year. Preferably, however, you use the regular test opportunity/-ies in the next academic year (unless you are in the final stage of the programme, see situation 2. for the conditions). If the unit of study in question consists of more than one test, the examination board will extend the validity of obtained positive test results of that unit of study, so that you don't have to redo the entire module or course.
In some programmes positive test results of specific modules are carried over to the next academic year (see BSc EER art. 4.7 par. 2). This is mentioned in the programme specific appendix in a paragraph on the validity of results. For those modules you don't need permission of the examination board for an extra exam opportunity and/or extension of validity.
- When you have finished all your units of study except for one test/exam, and waiting for the first regular exam opportunity for that unit of study will cause serious and unreasonable delay in graduating (more than six months), you can submit a request to the examination board for an extra exam or test opportunity. You have to meet a number of conditions:
a) you must have checked if you perhaps meet fail-pass rules for the module or course;
b) the next regular (re-)test opportunity will not be within six months after obtaining your last exam but one (the thesis is also considered an exam);
c) you sat the exam or test at least (if possible) two times and attained a score of at least 4.0, or, in TEM, you attained all the other parts of the module and scored at least a 4.0;
d) if you have specific personal circumstances that caused you not to pass the test until now your study advisor needs to know about these circumstances and be able to confirm this to the examination board.
In these cases the examination board will assess the request and decide whether the student is granted an individual extra exam/test opportunity within a specific period.
PLEASE NOTE: This request category is mainly relevant for students who have nearly completed their study program or in case of personal circumstances. If that is not your situation, you should probably go to "extend validity of results". Check carefully which part of the website is applicable to your situation. Sending in a request in the wrong category may cause delay in the handling of your request.
Pending the decision of the examination board, the student must in principle take part in the (next) regular scheduled exam/test. The examination board determines whether or not the result of the exam/test is valid. This is for the account and risk of the student.
The following should be included in your request:
- A motivation letter
- If you have circumstances that you believe justify an extra exam/test opportunity, you must mention these circumstances. You must have informed your study advisor about these circumstances beforehand. In case it concerns personal circumstances that you don’t wish to share in detail, like illness or family reasons, a statement from your study advisor will be enough.
- A complete and detailed study progress overview (pdf-file from Osiris)
- The statement from your study advisor in case of personal circumstances (only for examination board MS)
- A statement from your thesis supervisor about the expected date for the presentation of your thesis (in case you are in situation 2.)
- If you mention fail-pass rules from a specific module or transitional arrangements please upload them with your request