Telephone: + 31 58 284 9001
Sharon Hophmayer-Tokich (1970) holds a Master’s degree (Cum Laude) in Geography and a Ph.D. in Geography and Environmental Studies from the University of Haifa, Israel, specializing in Wastewater Management within Local Municipalities in Israel. She joined the Twente Centre for Studies in Technology and Sustainable Development at the University of Twente in 2004.
Main areas of interest include water and wastewater resources management and governance.
Expertise and Research Interests:
- Water management and governance at local and regional government levels
- Water markets at the public sector
- Inter-regional and cross-border cooperation for water management
- Sustainability and innovations in water chain management
- Public participation in water management
Publications and selected presentations:
- Hophmayer-Tokich, S., (2013), “Water Pollution Control Legislation in Israel: Understanding Implementation Processes from an Actor-Centered Approach”, Water 5, 1393-1418; doi:10.3390/w5031393
- Hophmayer-Tokich, S., (2012), Interaction processes between key Actors – understanding implementation processes of legislation for water pollution control, the Israeli case, in: N. Balkis, Ed. “Water Pollution”, InTech. DOI: 10.5772/28816. ISBN: 978-953-307-962-2
- Hophmayer-Tokich, S. (2010). “The Evolution of National Wastewater Management Regimes—the Case of Israel”, Water, 2(3), 439-460; doi:10.3390/w2030439
- Krozer, Y. Hophmayer-Tokich, S., Meerendonk, H. van, Tijsma, S. and Vos, E., (2009). "Innovations in the water chain - experiences in the Netherlands", the Journal of Cleaner Production doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2009.11.013
- Hophmayer-Tokich, S. and Krozer, Y. (2008). “Public participation in rural area water management, Experiences from the North Sea countries in Europe”, Water International, 33 (2), pp. 1-15.
- Hophmayer-Tokich, S. and Kliot, N. (2008). “Location Factors of Wastewater Treatment Plants in Israel” Horizons in Geography, 70, pp. 13-37 (Hebrew)
- Hophmayer-Tokich, S. and Kliot, N. (2008). “Inter-Municipal Cooperation for Wastewater Treatment: Case Studies from Israel”, Journal of Environmental Management, 86, pp. 554-565.