Building number 10 Ravelijn
Room: RA 1137
Telephone: + 31 53 489 4234
María-Laura Franco-García joined CSTM in 2007. She holds an Environmental Engineer’s degree (Metropolitan Autonomous University in Mexico City) a Master’s degree on “Management and Treatment of Solid Wastes” (Institute Nationale des Sciences Appliquées in Lyon, France) a Ph.D. on “Environmental Chemistry” (Université Claude Bernard Lyon I, France), a Pos-doctorate study related to “Catalytic and Nano Sciences” (Hokkaido University, Japan) and research-stay at Ashridge Business School, Great Britain. She followed training courses about Environmental Risk Management from Harvard University, USA.
As environmental engineer (since 1990) she focused on the environmental-social impacts of the industrial sector. Franco received the distinction of being named as “Environmental Auditor”. She worked for the Mexican Environmental Ministry at the “National Center of Environmental Research and Training” where she designed and contributed to the implementation of some soil protection and hazardous waste regulations at National scale.
Franco lectured and researched at “National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)”, “Metropolitan Autonomous University” and “Tecnologico de Monterrey”, among the most important high educational institutions in Mexico. Furthermore in 2003 she became director of the first National Master’s programme on “Sustainable Development Sciences”. This programme is certified and granted with scholarships to students by the Mexican National Research Council (CONACyT) since 2006. Only few postgraduate programmes have this certification in the country. In 2005, she contributed to the design and coordination of the “Environmental Systems” specialty in the Ph.D. programme of “Science and Enginery”. Meantime, she led an academic group untitled “Sustainable Development Department” at Tecnologico de Monterrey, Campus Mexico State. Franco currently teaches in the Masters of Energy and Environmental Management (MEEM) and the Minor programme: Sustainable Development in Developing Countries at CSTM/MB.
Franco’s research interests were extended to public and private management of natural resources and product development since her affiliation to the “Environmental Quality Research Center” in Mexican State Campus of “Tecnologico de Monterrey”. Master’s theses, conference papers and peer reviewed papers have been the outputs from such experience, with an active collaboration with researches of such institution. Some of her recent scientific contributions are framed under the European project FP7-SME-2010-262138-Enviromentor on “Facilitating implementation of the IPPC Legislation through a Web-based environmental consultancy toolkit”. This project aims to assist environmental consultants in guiding their clients to implement environmental normative in combination with Eco-Management and Audit Schemes (EMAS) standards targeting the EU Emissions Trading System (ETS).
Franco is currently one of the European coordinators of the global network of “Greening of Industry Network (GIN)”, www.greeningofindustry.org with the goal to extend collaborations among GIN global representations and more in particular with Latino American partners. Although the network organizes meetings in three regions so far: Asia, America and Europa. GIN is one of the strategic CSTM partners.
Her current research and lecturing are framed under the GIN themes and can enlisted as as follows: (1) Measuring the voluntary environmental policy instruments effectiveness (CSR, ISO’s, among other regional voluntary programmes); and (2) Greening networks (cooperatives conformed by small producers, sustainable industrial parks, technological parks and the principles and practices of the Product Co-creation Centers (PC3’s). Some of the PC3 principles/practices make part of the minor “Sustainable Development in Developing Countries” . http://www.utwente.nl/mb/cstm/education/minor/minor.doc/
- Franco-Garcia, M.L., Sherwell, J.L. and Groen, A. (2013) Guest editorial note of Special Issue of Management Research Review: “Private-public strategies for sustainable regional development”, 36 (12).
- Krozer, Y., Franco-Garcia, M.L. and Micallef, D. (2013) Interactions management in environmental policy. Management Research Review, 36 (12), pp 1210 – 1219.
- Carpio-Aguilar, J.C. and Franco-Garcia, M.L. (2013) Joint environmental policy making and sustainable practices for the cardboard production. Management Research Review, 36 (12), pp. 1220 – 1237.
- Bastida-Ruiz, E., Franco-Garcia, M.L. and Kreiner, I. (2013) Analysis of indicators to evaluate the industrial parks contribution to sustainable development. Management Research Review, 36 (12), pp 1272 – 1289.
- Hoppe, T., Bressers, H., De Bruijn, T. and Franco-Garcia, M.L. (2013) Street litter reduction programs in the Netherlands: Reflections on the implementation for the Dutch litter reduction program for 2007-2009. Lessons from a public private partnership in environmental policy. Environmental engineering and management Journal, 12 (8), pp. 1659 – 1670.
- Jauregui-Becker, J., Franco-Garcia, M.L. and Groen A. (2013) Scaling up the BoP mind-set to entrepreneurial skills (PC3). Proceedings of 10th NYU Stern Conference of social entrepreneurship, Nov. 6-8, 2013, NY, USA.
- Lansink, C., Franco-Garcia, M.L., Jauregui, J. and Groen, A. (2013) Inventory of social entrepreneurial methods / tools for successful PC3 (Product Co-Created Centers) implementation. Proceedings of 14th International CINet (Continous Innovation Network) conference. September, 8-11 2013. Nijmegen, Netherlands.
- Franco-García, M.L., Hendrawati-Tan, L., Gutiérrez-Díaz, C., Casiano C. and Bressers, H. (2013) Institutional innovation of water governance in Mexico: The case of Guadalupe basin near Mexico City. Book chapter of “Water governance, policy and knowledge transfer”. Earthscan Ed. (from Routledge).
- Jauregui-Becker, J., Franco-Garcia, M.L. and Groen A. (2012) Centers of sustainable co-created products: Development inspired by social entrepreneurs (PC3). Proceedings of 9th NYU Stern Conference of social entrepreneurship. Nov. 7-9, 2012. NY, USA.
- Franco Garcia, M.L., Sosa, A. and Bressers, T.H. (2012). A Dynamic Analysis of Voluntary Agreements implementation in Mexico. Journal of Public affairs, DOI: 10.1002/pa. 1438.
- Franco-Garcia, M.L., Gitsham, M. and Millar, C.J.M. (2012) Talent management and effect of sustainability training : The case of HSBC’s Climate Partnership Programme. Proceedings of Greening of Industry Network, GIN2012 conference : Support your future today. October 2012, Linköping, Sweden.
- Franco-Garcia, M.L., Spiliotopoulou, E. and Stanek-Kowalczyk, A. (2012) Developing junior-ecopreneurs. Proceedings of Conference of GIN-UT-TEC “Private and Public policies for sustainable regional development”, April 18-20, 2012, Mexico City.
- Franco Garcia, Maria Laura and Hans Bressers (2010). “Towards sustainable negotiated agreements between industrial and government sectors: Mexican case”. Chapter of the book “Facilitating Sustainable Innovation through collaboration”, edited by Sarkis, J., Cordeiro, J., and Vazquez Brust, D. Springer Ed.
- Belalcázar, F. and Franco-Garcia, M.L. (2010) Relationships between the conceptualization of CSR with the environmental protection projects performed by the private sector in Mexico, Proceedings of “Knowledge Collaboration & Learning for Sustainable Innovation” ERSCP-EMSU conference, October 25-29, 2010. Delft, The Netherlands.
- Franco Garcia, Maria Laura (2007). “Design and implementation of environmental policies, case study: sustainable waste management”. 7th Event of the National Prevention Pollution Table”. Mexicali, Mexico. Co-organized by the Mexican, American and Canadian governments.
- Norris, G., Suppen, N., Franco-Garcia, M.L., Knowles, P. and DÁbale, B. (2004). “And the last shall be first, Partnering with the world´s children to advance sustainable development”. Proceedings of the Congress “Environmental Management for Sustainable Universities”. “Tecnológico de Monterrey” Campus Monterrey, Mexico.