PROFESSOR OF LAW, GOVERNANCE & TECHNOLOGY
Michiel A. Heldeweg (Nijverdal, 1957; LLM Groningen, 1985; PhD Maastricht, 1993) is professor of Public Governance Law at the faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences and the Institute for Innovation and Governance Studies of the University of Twente, the Netherlands.
He is a member of the Netherlands Institute of Government (NIG), an associate senior member of the Ius Commune Research school (Leuven, Maastricht a.o.), a member of the Ius Commune Centre for Environmental Law (ICCEL), and a partner to the Netherlands Institute for Law and Governance (Groningen, Amsterdam a.o.)
Heldeweg is an Honorary Judge in the District Court of Almelo (the Netherlands), serving in the Administrative Law Section.
Heldeweg’s research is on safeguarding the public interest in the context of the (new) regulatory state, with special interest in hybrid organizations and hybrid regulatory strategies, and a focus on:
- legal aspects of public governance, especially in the delivery of public services (and safeguarding of public values).
- legal aspects of public regulation, especially in balancing innovation and risk control (especially innovation enhancement & risk regulation).
This approach also involves research into a methodology of legal design (especially of ‘smart rules and regimes’) and of legal risk management (especially legal quality).
Special areas of applied study are: environment and energy, telecommunication and public safety.
Heldeweg's teaching involves:
- Bachelor courses – Introduction to Law, Constitutional Law, Administrative Law, Law & Governance, and Law, markets & innovation (in European studies, Public Administration and Business Administration programmes)
- Master courses on – Regulation & Law, Governments & Markets, Legal Governance Methodology, Environmental Law (in Public Administration)
- Post-academic courses – Legal risk-management (Risk management programme), Environmental Law (Environment & Energy Management) and Constitutional & Administrative Law for decentralized authorities (tailor made courses).
- Heldeweg is the coordinator of the mastertrack ‘Law & Governance’ program (as part of Public Administration master) at the faculty of Management & Governance.
For publications click HERE.