PROFESSOR OF POLICY STUDIES AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
Building number 10 Ravelijn
Room: RA 1248
Telephone: + 31 53 489 3195
Prof.dr. Hans Th.A. Bressers (1953) is professor of Policy Studies and Environmental Policy at the University of Twente in the Netherlands and founder of the CSTM, the Department of Governance and Technology for Sustainability, one of the departments of the Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences. At the university level he is the Chair of the Twente Water Centre, that bundles the over 150 water management researchers of all technical, natural science and policy oriented faculties of the University of Twente. He is also the program leader of the MSc Master of Environmental and Energy Management program, that has a Double Degree collaboration with the University Padjadjaran (UNPAD) in Bandung in Indonesia.
Previously he has been, inter alia, vice-chairman of the official permanent Evaluation Committee of the Environmental Management Act, which advised the Minister regularly on the efficacy of Dutch environmental policy. He was also the chairman of the Advisory Committee to the Dutch Minister for the Environment for the implementation of environmental policy by local government and has been chairman of the Dutch social science association for environmental and energy research, SWOME and until recently an independent scientific member of the Commission on Sustainable development of the Dutch Social-Economic Council (SER). Currently he is at the Dutch national level member of the national Advisory Committee on Water, that was chaired by the Prince of Orange until April 2013 when he became king.
His dissertation on the effectiveness of Dutch water quality management (1983) won the annual award for best Dutch Public Administration book. In over three hundred articles, chapters, and books and a similar number of reports, conference papers and presentations (both in Dutch and in English) he published on policy instruments, -implementation, -evaluation and policy networks, mostly applied on environmental and sustainability oriented policies, like water policy and water projects. He has been researcher and project leader of numerous externally funded projects, including several projects funded by EU research frameworks, Dutch national science foundation, national priority research programmes, Dutch ministries, etc. As a PhD advisor he has led 44 researchers to their graduation before 2016.
- Environmental policy
- Policy instruments
- Policy implementation
- Policy evaluation
- Policy networks
- Governance models
- Water management
- Bressers, H., O'Toole, L. J., & Richardson, J. (eds) (1995). Networks and water policy: A comparative perspective. London: Frank Cass. [co-author of three chapters; also published as special issue of Environmental Politics, 3(4), Winter 1994].
- Bressers, H., & Kuks, S. M. (2003). What does governance mean? From concept to elaboration. In: H. Bressers & W. A. Rosenbaum (eds), Achieving sustainable development: The challenge of governance across social scales. New York-Westpoint-London: Praeger.
- Bressers, H. (2004). Understanding the implementation of instruments: How to know what works, where, when and how. In: W. M. Lafferty (ed.), Governance for Sustainable Development: The Challenge of Adapting Form to Function. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Bressers, H., & Kuks, S. M. (Eds.). (2004). Integrated governance and water basin management: Conditions for regime change towards sustainability. Dordrecht-Boston-London: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Bressers, Hans & Lulofs, Kris (eds) (2010). Governance and Complexity in Water Management, Creating Cooperation through Boundary Spanning, Edward Elgar/IWA.
- Cheryl de Boer and Hans Bressers (2011), Complex and dynamic implementation processes: Analyzing the renaturalization of the Dutch Regge river, Book, Enschede: University of Twente and The Hague: Dutch Water Governance Centre.
- Vera Vikolainen, Hans Bressers, Kris Lulofs (2011), Management aspects of building with nature projects in the context of EU bird and habitat directives, in: Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, Nov. 2011, Vol. 10, No. 11, pp. 1675-1686.
- Cheryl de Boer, Joanne Vinke-de Kruijf, Gül Özerol, Hans Th. A. Bressers (Eds.) (2013) Water Governance, Policy and Knowledge Transfer: International Studies on Contextual Water Management. Oxford UK, New York USA: Earthscan – Routledge.
- Bressers, H., N. Bressers (Eds.) (2015), Governance Assessment Guide, DROP project, Almelo.
- Bressers, H., N. Bressers, C. Larrue (Eds.) (2016), Governance for Drought Resilience: Land and Water Drought Management in Europe, Dordrecht, Berlin: Springer (forthcoming)
- More publications can be found HERE