Building 10 Ravelijn
Room: RA 1155
Telephone: + 31 534894171
Gül holds a PhD in Innovation and Governance for Sustainable Development from the University of Twente, an MSc degree in Integrated Assessment from the University of Osnabrück, Germany, and BSc and MSc degrees in Industrial Engineering from the Middle East Technical University, Turkey. Her main research expertise is in actor-based and institutional policy analysis, focusing on politics, power and participation.
Gül is keen to improve the scientific and practical foundations of the political, institutional and behavioural dimensions of sustainability through transdisciplinary research on water, energy and land resources. She has been participating in and managing research, training and consultancy projects in Europe, North America, Middle East and North Africa, and acquired local experience in the Netherlands, Turkey, Palestine and the United States.
Gül is currently the country coordinator of the Palestinian-Dutch Academic Cooperation Programme on Water (PADUCO), the governance team lead of the CATCH project on urban climate resilience in the North Sea Region, and the editor of Fanack Water, an online media platform on water issues in the Middle East and North Africa Region.
- Water and energy governance, with a focus on participation, power, gender and equity
- Water-energy-land nexus, with a focus on the governance of irrigation, wastewater and desalination
- Urban water governance, with a focus on climate resilience
- Transdisciplinary water research, with a focus on co-creation and communication of knowledge
- Özerol, G., Bressers, H. (2017). How do farmers align with the agri-environmental changes in irrigated agriculture? A Case Study from Harran Plain, Turkey. Irrigation and Drainage, 66, 45-59.
- Al-Khatib, N. Shoqier, J.A.H., Özerol, G., Majaj, L. (2017). Governing the reuse of treated wastewater in irrigation: Case study of Jericho, Palestine. International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, 16, 135-148.
- Özerol, G., Bressers, H., 2015. Scalar alignment and sustainable water governance: The case of irrigated agriculture in Turkey. Environmental Science and Policy, 45, 1-10.
- Özerol, G., 2013. Institutions of farmer participation and environmental sustainability: A multi-level analysis from irrigation management in Harran Plain, Turkey. International Journal of the Commons, 7(1), 73-91.
- Özerol, G., 2013. Introduction to a “complicated story”: The role of wastewater reuse to alleviate the water problems of Palestine. Middle-Eastern Analysis, 53, 60-70.
- de Boer, C., Vinke-de Kruijf, J., Özerol, G., Bressers, H., (eds.), 2013. Water Governance, Policy and Knowledge Transfer: International Studies on Contextual Water Management. London-New York: Routledge.
- Vinke-de Kruijf, J. Özerol, G., 2013. Water management solutions: On panaceas and policy transfer. In: C. de Boer, J. Vinke-de Kruijf, G. Özerol, H. Bressers (eds.), Water Governance, Policy and Knowledge Transfer: International Studies on Contextual Water Management, London-New York: Routledge, 12-35.
- Bressers, H., Boer, C. de, Lordkipanidze, M., Özerol, G., Vinke-de Kruijf, J., Farusho, C., Lajeunesse, I., Larrue, C., Ramos, M.-H., Kampa, E., Stein, U., Tröltzsch, J., Vidaurre, R., Browne, A., 2013. Water Governance Assessment Tool: With an Elaboration for Drought Resilience. Report for the DROP Project, Enschede: University of Twente.
- Özerol, G., Bressers, H., Coenen, F., 2012. Irrigated agriculture and environmental sustainability: An alignment perspective. Environmental Science and Policy, 23, 57-67.
- Özerol, G., Newig, J., 2008. Evaluating the success of public participation in water resources management - five key constituents. Water Policy, 10, 6, 639–655.
The full list of publications can be found here.