PROFESSOR OF INNOVATION AND WATER POLICY IMPLEMENTATION
Prof.dr. Stefan Kuks (1961) is professor of “Innovation and Water Policy Implementation” at the University of Twente (School of Management and Governance).
He has been involved in various national and international water policy studies (e.g. www.euwareness.nl ), focusing on institutional aspects of water management. In 2004 he wrote a dissertation on “Water Governance and Institutional Change”. This dissertation was nominated (shortlisted) for the Van Poelje Jaarprijs 2004 and distinguished as an important international comparative study in the field of water policy and public administration.
Besides his part time professorship, Stefan Kuks is fulltime chairman (dike reeve) of the Regional Public Water Authority “Regge en Dinkel” in the east of the Netherlands (www.wrd.nl). He is also an elected member in the executive committee of the Association of Water Management Authorities (Unie van Waterschappen, www.uvw.nl) in The Hague.
- Water in an Institutional Landscape. In Search of the Institutional Essence of Water Governance. Inaugural address as extraordinary professor on October 2nd 2009 at the University of Twente.
- Institutional Evolution of the Dutch Water Board Model. In: Stijn Reinhard and Henk Folmer (Eds.), Water Policy in the Netherlands. Integrated Management in a Densely Populated Delta. Washington DC: RFF Press (Resources for the Future), 2009, pp. 155-170.
- The Privatisation debate on water services in the Netherlands: Public Performance of the Water Sector and the Implications of Market Forces. In: Water Policy, Official Journal of the World Water Council 8 (2006) pp. 147-169.
- The Evolution of National Water Regimes in Europe: Transitions in Water Rights and Water Policies. Co-edited with Ingrid Kissling-Näf, published with Springer, 2004.
- Integrated Governance and Water Basin Management. Conditions for Regime Change and Sustainability. Co-edited with Hans Bressers, published with Springer, 2004.