Telephone: + 31 53 489 4377
Since 2002, Larry O’Toole has been Professor of Comparative Sustainability Policy Studies at the CSTM. At the University of Georgia, USA he is the Golembiewski Professor of Public Administration in the Department of Public Administration and Policy, School of Public and International Affairs. He serves of the editorial boards of many journals, including the Journal of European Public Policy, the Journal of Policy Analysis and Management and the Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. He is past president of the Public Management Research Association.
He has lectured and conducted research widely in North America, Eastern and Western Europe, Australia, East Asia and Africa. He has held visiting appointments at the International Institute of Management, Science Center Berlin, Germany; the Joint Research Program in Public Administration, Leiden University and Erasmus University, The Netherlands; and the Centre for Local Government and Regional Government Research, Cardiff University, Wales, UK. Professor O’Toole has consulted with or conducted research for numerous governments and governmental agencies, including the European Commission, the Economic and Social Research Council (UK), the US Agency for International Development, the US Environmental Protection Agency, the US Geological Survey, and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. His work has also been supported by the US National Science Foundation.
He has worked with CSTM colleagues on joint publications and has provided guidance to many CSTM researchers on such topics as research designs and literatures regarding comparative policy, policy implementation, networks, and public management, as well as on aspects of sustainable development.
- Environmental Policy Implementation
- Implementation of Sustainable Development
- Interorganizational Implementation
- Networks and Public Policy
- Networks and Public Management
- O’Toole, L.J. (2015) “Networks and networking: the public administrative agendas,” Public Administration Review 75, 3: 361-371
- O’Toole, L.J., and Meier, K.J. (2015) Public management, context, and performance: In quest of a more general theory,” Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 25, 1: 237-56
- O’Toole, L.J. (2015) “Globalization, global governance, and public administration” in Kim, S., Ashley, S., and Lambright, W.H. eds., Public Administration in the Context of Global Governance (Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2015): 3-8
- Meier, K.J., and O’Toole, L.J. (2013) Subjective organizational performance and measurement error: common source bias and spurious relationships,” Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 23, 2: 429-56
- O’Toole, L.J., and R.K. Christensen, R.K., eds. (2013) American intergovernmental relations: foundations, perspectives, and issues (5th edition). Thousand Oaks, California: CQ Press.
- O’Toole, L.J., and Meier, K.J. (2011) Public management: organizations, governance and performance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bressers, J.Th., de Bruijn, T., Lulofs, K, and O’Toole, L.J. (2011) Negotiation-based policy instruments and performance: Dutch covenants and environmental policy outcomes," Journal of Public Policy 31, 2: 187-208
- O’Toole, L.J., and Meier, K.J. (2011) Comparing public and private management: theoretical expectations,” Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 21, supplement 3: i283-i299
- Andrews, R., Boyne, G.A., Meier, K.J., and O’Toole, L.J. (2009) European Union accession and public service performance,” Policy & Politics 37, 1 (2009): 19-37
- Meier, K.J. & O'Toole, L.J. (2006). Bureaucracy in a democratic state: a governance perspective. Baltimore, Md.: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Boyne, G., Meier, K.J., O’Toole, L.J., and Walker, R. (2006) Public Services Performance: Perspectives on Measurement and Management. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Coenen, F.H.J.M., Huitema, D. & O'Toole, L.J. (1998). Participation and the quality of environmental decision making. Dordrecht ; Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- O'Toole, L.J. (1998). Institutions, policy and outputs for acidification: the case of Hungary. Aldershot, England; Brookfield, Vt.: Ashgate.
- Bressers, H., O'Toole, L.J. & Richardson, J.J. (1995). Networks for water policy: a comparative perspective. London: F. Cass.
- Author or coauthor of more than 160 scholarly articles and book chapters, including in such international journals as Environmental Politics, European Journal of Political Research, Policy Studies Journal, Journal of Public Policy, Policy Studies Review, Public Administration Review, Governance, Beleidswetenschap, Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, Evaluation Review, and Journal of European Public Policy.