Prof. dr. Hans (J.J.) Vossensteyn
Director and Senior Research Associate
CHEPS, University of Twente
P.O. Box 217
NL-7500 AE Enschede
Born: 30-12-1966, Amersfoort (NL)
Working Languages: Dutch (native), English (very good), German (very good), French (basic)
Master (drs.): Public Administration, University of Twente, 1991
PhD: Higher Education, University of Twente, 2005 (cum laude; with distinction)
Main Work Experience
2011 – present: Director, CHEPS, University of Twente
2007 – present: Study Program Director MBA Higher Education and Science Management, Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences
2009 – 2011: Executive Director, CHEPS, University of Twente
2005 – 2011: Research Coordinator, CHEPS, University of Twente
1991 - present: Senior research associate, CHEPS, University of Twente
1998 – 1999: Seconded as an External advisor to the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, The Hague.
Areas of expertise
- Funding and economics of Higher EducationStudent financial support
- National and institutional policy & strategic management
- Institutional quality assurance
- Project management
Hans is the Director of CHEPS since 2011, where he is a Senior Research Associate since 1991. In 2007 he became Professor and Programme Leader of the MBA Hochschul- und Wissenschaftsmanagement at the Hochschule Osnabrück (Germany).
His main higher education research interests include funding, student financial support, internationalisation, indicators, quality assurance, strategic management and study success. He mainly conducts international comparative quantitative and qualitative research.
Hans gives many (key-note) presentations for international conference audiences and does various international consultancies, e.g. in Russia, Mozambique, Uganda, Ethiopia, Lithuania, Latvia, Tunesia.
Hans serves on various advisory boards and strategic committees, like:
- The Committee on the Future Sustainability of Dutch Higher Education (Committee Veerman)
- The Academic Advisory Board of the German DZHW-iFQ
- The Dutch Expert Panel Student Choice123
- The University of Twente Expert Committee Monitoring Education Innovations
- The Programme Committee of the 36th EAIR Forum in Essen, 2014 (also Track Chair).
- The Ford Foundation’s Advisory Board: International Comparative HE Finance and Accessibility
- The Canada Millennium Scholarships Foundation: Measuring the Effectiveness of Student Aid
- The Eurydice (the European Information Network on Training and Youth) Expert Network
- Several editorial boards of journals, like JHEPM, TH&MA and IJME.