Prof. Dr. Marijk van der Wende
Professor Comparative Higher Education Policy Studies
Marijk van der Wende is honorary professor at CHEPS and Dean of Graduate Studies at Utrecht University and Professor of Higher Education Systems in the Utrecht School of Governance.
Her research focuses on the impact of globalisation and internationalization on higher education and she has published widely on how these processes affect higher education systems, institutions, curricula, and teaching and learning arrangements.
She is a member of the Academia Europaea, the International Advisory Board of the Centre for the Study of World Class Universities, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, the Board of the Rathenau Institute for Science and Technology in Society, the ETS/GRE European Advisory Council, and the Board of the Amsterdam University College Scholarship Fund (ASF). She is a research associate with the project on the Research Universities Going Global of the CSHE at UC Berkeley and an auditor for the Quality Assurance Committee of the Hong Kong University Grants Committee.
She was a visiting scholar at the University of California Berkeley (Center for Studies in Higher Education), Harvard University (Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies and Graduate School of Education), Boston College (Centre for International Higher Education), and Shanghai Jiao Tong University (Center for World-Class Universities and Graduate School of Education).
She was the Founding Dean of Amsterdam University College and Professor of higher education at VU University Amsterdam. She served as the President of the programme on Institutional Management in Higher Education (IMHE) of the OECD, as a member of the Higher Education Authority Ireland, the Scientific Board of the Dutch Military Academy, and worked at NUFFIC (the Netherlands Organisation for International Cooperation in Higher Education), and the Academic Cooperation Association (ACA) in Brussels. She has been a chair and member of numerous national and international advisory committees and editorial boards.
She holds BA degrees in teaching and pedagogy, and MA and PhD degrees in educational sciences, from the University of Amsterdam and the University of Utrecht respectively.
Selected recent key publications:
- Wende, M.C. van der (2015). International Academic Mobility: Towards a Concentration of the Minds in Europe. In: The European Review. Cambridge University Press. Volume 23, issue S1, pp. S70-S88.
- Wende, M. C. van der (2014). On Mergers and Missions Implications for Institutional Governance and Governmental Steering. In: Q. Wang, Y. Cheng, & N. Cai Liu (Eds.). Global Outreach of World-Class Universities: How It is Affecting Higher Education Systems. Centre for World-Class Universities. Jiao Tong University, Shanghai. Sense Publishers. Pp. 137-153.
- Wende, M.C. van der (2013). Trends towards global excellence in undergraduate education: taking the liberal arts experience into the 21st century. In: International Journal of Chinese Education 2. Pp 289-307.
- Wende, M.C. van der (2012). Alleen de beste universiteiten verdienen de beste studenten! Over het toegangs- en toelatingsbeleid voor studenten in de nabije toekomst. In: Tijdschrift voor Onderwijsrecht en Onderwijsbeleid. Jaargang 2012-2013, No 2, pp. 99-108.
- Wende, M.C. van der (2011). Towards a European Approach to Ranking. In: Nian Cai Liu, Qi Wang and Ying Cheng (Eds.). Paths to a World-Class University. Lessons from Practices and Experiences. Global Perspectives on Higher Education Volume 23. Sense Publishers. Pp. 125-139.
- Wende, M.C. van der (2011). Global Institutions: the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. In: R. King, S. Marginson & R. Naidoo (eds). Handbook on Globalization and Higher Education. Edward Elgar. Pp. 95-114.
- Wende, M.C. van der (2010). Internationalization of Higher Education. In: Penelope Peterson, Eva Baker, Barry McGaw, (Editors), International Encyclopedia of Education. Volume 4. Oxford: Elsevier. Pp. 540-545
Forthcoming / in press:
- Wende, M.C. van der & J. Zhu. China’s Higher Education in Global Perspective: Leader or Follower in the “World-Class” Movement? Proceedings of the WCU6 Conference.
- Klein Bog, D & M.C. van der Wende. Liberal Arts and Sciences Education for the 21st Century Knowledge Economy. In: I. Jung, T. Sasao & M. Nishimura, Liberal Arts Education: Interdisciplinary and East Asian Perspectives. Language and Education Series, Springer.
- Kirby, W & M.C. van der Wende (eds). The Liberal Arts and Science Education Dialogue across Continents: Experiences and Perspectives from the USA, Europe, and Asia. Studies in Global Higher Education Series. New York, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Kirby, W & M.C. van der Wende (eds). New Directions in Liberal Arts and Science Education in Asia. Special Issue of the International Journal of Chinese Education. Brill