Dr. Harry F. de Boer
Senior Research Associate
CHEPS, University of Twente
P.O. Box 217
NL-7500 AE Enschede
Office: Ravelijn RA-5121
Direct tel. +31 53 489 3226
Born: 06-12-1962, Idaarderadeel (NL)
Working Languages: Dutch (native), English (very good), German (good)
Master (drs.): Public Administration, University of Twente, 1988
PhD: Public Administration, University of Twente, 2003
Main Work Experience
1990 - Present: Senior research associate, CHEPS, University of Twente
Areas of expertise
- Higher education governance
- Research on university management and leadership
- Policy analysis & policy instruments
- Deputy-director CHEPS
Research Interests and Professional background
Within the field of higher education, Harry specialises in government university relationships, steering models, policy analysis, institutional governance, leadership and management, strategic planning and models of decision making. In research projects he mostly uses interdisciplinary approaches from the field of public administration and policy analysis.
He has been a consultant on several projects for the Dutch ministry of Education, Culture and Science and also carried out research projects for national advisory bodies in the Netherlands such as The Advisory Council for Science and Technology Policy (AWT) and the Association of Universities in the Netherlands (VSNU). In his field of expertise, he participated in international (EU) research-based projects (European Commission, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft). In 2008, he was a visiting Erasmus Mundus scholar at the University of New England in Australia.
Harry has been lecturing several courses at the University of Twente as well as in international higher education programs (Higher Education Erasmus Mundus) and management training courses (ECIU’s Leadership and Development Programme). He supervises Bachelors and Masters theses as well as PhD candidates on topics related to university governance and management.
Since 2005, Harry joined the Editorial Board of the Higher Education Quarterly.
- Design, implementation and evaluation of structural reform initiatives in European higher education (for the European Commission – DG EAC)
- Editing Handbook of Higher education Policy and Governance (i.c.w. Huisman, Souto-Otero and Dill)
- Performance-based funding and performance agreements – an international comparison.
- Alternative modes of delivery in higher education (for the Dutch ministry of ECS)
- European Science Foundation project on the transformation of universities in Europe (TRUE-project)
- Developing scenarios for national capacity planning in higher education for the Association of Dutch universities
- The Higher Education Monitor-project – an online database for qualitative information in higher education in many countries