Dr. Kathelijne M. Wijnberg
Water Engineering & Management
+31 53 489 4701
+31 53 489 3546
University of Twente
Faculty of Engineering Technology
Department of Water Engineering & Management
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
University of Twente, Department of Water Engineering and Management.
WL |Delft Hydraulics (now Deltares), Marine and Coastal Management Division.
Researcher/adviser (note: during the period Aug-Dec 2004 I was also employed at the University of Twente on part-time basis (20%), next to main employment at WL| Delft Hydraulics)
Leave due to maternity
Utrecht University, Department of Physical Geography.
Assistant professor (1999)
Postdoctoral position (1996-1998/99, variable appointments, 50%-100%)
Stationed at Twente University, Faculty of Technology and Management.
Postdoctoral position (stationed on part-time basis (20%)).
Oregon State University, College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences.
Postdoctoral position (part-time, 50%)
Utrecht University, Department of Physical Geography.
- PhD Geographical Sciences, Utrecht University, 1995
- MSc Physical Geography, Utrecht University, 1990
Coastal morphodynamics, coastal monitoring and video remote sensing, the natural coastal system and its response to human intervention.
CoCoChannel: Co-designing Coasts using Natural Channel-shoal dynamics. (2014-2019): The CoCoChannel project aims at developing the knowledge and tools needed for innovative solutions to erosion problems along shorelines near tidal inlets; more specifically, Building-with-Nature type interventions such as triggering or stimulating shoal attachment through dredging or dumping of sediment at smart locations on the ebb-delta. Implementing such an innovative concept requires early interaction with stakeholders and coastal communities, not only to obtain their support but also to collaboratively improve the design of the intervention. Thus, the eventual design of these innovative interventions can be regarded as the product of a network of scientists, engineers and other stakeholders, and their social dynamics. CoCoChannel is a joint research effort in which our group joined forces with UNESCO-IHE, Delft University of Technology, DELTARES and IMARES. In addition to increasing the knowledge on channel-shoal dynamics of ebb-deltas (sub-project 1, 1 PhD at UNESCO-IHE) and the related impact on the adjacent beach-dune system (sub-project 2, 1 PhD at University of Twente), the project also aims at assessing the role of system understanding in the process of co-designing such Building-with-Nature type interventions with stakeholders (sub-project 3, 1 PhD at Delft University of Technology). I am overall project leader, as well project leader of sub-project 2. Funded by National Science Foundation NWO (thematic call ‘Building with Nature’, defined in collaboration with the national ‘Topconsortium Knowledge and Innovation in Delta Technology’).
NatureCoast: Nature-driven nourishment of coastal systems. (2012-2017): In 2011 a huge shore nourishment (21 Mm3) has been applied at the Delfland coast (NL) in the shape of a peninsula (crtl-click here for some nice pictures). This unprecedented experiment aims to protect the hinterland from flooding by letting natural processes distribute sand over shoreface, beach and dunes, thus constituting a climate-robust and environmentally friendly way of coastal protection. The key objective of the NatureCoast program is to raise our understanding and predictive capability regarding the various aspects of this type of shore nourishments, up to a level enabling to assess their effectiveness and to export the underlying technology worldwide. The overall scientific challenge lies in understanding and predictive modelling of the complex interplay of eco-morphological, hydrological and societal processes that govern the evolution, effects, feasibility and acceptability of mega-nourishment (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lzo1KDlqEU&feature=youtu.be). Hence this research program involves 12 research groups from different disciplines (program leader: Prof.dr.ir. M.J.F. Stive, TUD). I lead the Dune Formation subproject. This subproject aims at obtaining predictive understanding of both the impact of mega-nourishments on the spatio-temporal variability in aeolian sediment supply towards upper beach and dunes (PhD 1, at Univ. of Twente) and the key processes and conditions for making the transition from a bare beach to a vegetated dune, including associated landforms such as green beaches (PhD 2, at Wageningen UR). Funded by National Technology Foundation STW.
Aeolian and hydrodynamic sand exchange across the beach. (2013-2017): This project aims at understanding and modelling the sand exchange between the nearshore zone and the beach-dune system at a time scale of years to decades, on natural beaches. The exchange of sand between the nearshore zone and the beach-dune system occurs through both hydrodynamic and aeolian processes. Supply of sand from land to sea occurs mostly during storm surge erosion. Regarding the supply of sand from the sea to the land (accretion process), the intertidal beach is a crucial zone, because this is the area where sediments that are deposited by marine processes can be picked by wind to become part of the beach-dune system of the coast. The state of the intertidal beach is strongly tied to the nearshore morphodynamics, for instance through the development of ridge and runnel topography or rhythmic bars and beach topography. Knowledge development will focus on the accretionary component of the sand exchange. Argus video imagery of the intertidal beach collected at Egmond beach since 1998, are an important source of information for the analyses. Funded by: Conicyt (Comisión Nacional de Investigación Científica y Tecnológica). PhD involved: Leonardo Duarte Campos.
The Argus Program (ongoing): Video remote sensing of the beach and nearshore zone. The Argus program (http://cil-www.oce.orst.edu/), initiated at Oregon State University, aims at developing optical measurement approaches to exploit visible signatures of nearshore phenomena (hydrodynamics, morphology) with high resolution in space and time, using computer controlled video cameras. Video-stations are located at over 40 beaches around the globe. Data obtained are used to increase insight in the nearshore morphodynamic system. The Argus program is supported by an international research network of individuals and institutes who derive their funding from variable sources. Most recent project: Argus video imagery in support of aeolian transport studies (Nov 2011-May 2012). Exploratory study on mapping aeolian morphodynamics across an artificially created dune feature from Argus video imagery at Vlugtenburg beach (The Netherlands). Funded by ‘Ecoshape/Building with Nature’.
Past research projects (while at University of Twente)
Congruent scales in economics, coastal engineering and morphology (2005-2011). ALW/LOICZ-funded project to explore whether congruent scales in economics, coastal engineering and morphology exist, and if so, how phenomena occurring at congruent scales might interact. PhD-student involved in the ‘coastal engineering and morphology’ topic: Lisette Bochev-van der Burgh. PhD-thesis successfully defended September 2012. Thesis title: Decadal-scale morphologic variability of foredunes subject to human interventions.
GIS-technology and the analysis and forecasting of change in the marine environment (2006-2010): research project within the framework of the BSIK-funded project We@Sea. PhD-student involved: Blanca Perez-Lapeña. PhD-thesis successfully defended April 2011. Thesis title: Detecting Seabird Displacement. A simulation based geostatistical approach.
Morphological development of the Banda Aceh Coast after the tsunami of December 26, 2004 (2004-2009). PhD-student involved: Ella Meilianda. (Note: I got involved in the project from October 2007 onwards). PhD-thesis successfully defended June 2009. Thesis title: Past, present and future morphological development of a tsunami affected coast. A case study of Banda Aceh.
Refereed scientific journals
- Van der Weerd, A.J., K.M. Wijnberg (accepted). Aeolian sediment flux derived from a natural sand trap. J. of Coastal Research, Special Issue 75.
- Pérez Lapenã, B., K.M. Wijnberg, A. Stein and S.J.M.H. Hulscher (2013). Spatial variogram estimation from temporally aggregated seabird count data. Environmental and Ecological Statistics, 20: 353–375. (doi: 10.1007/s10651-012-0223-2)
- Meilianda, E., B.H.P. Maathuis, and K.M. Wijnberg (subm). Geomorphological outline of Banda Aceh coast, Indonesia and the impact of the tsunami of 26 December 2004. Marine Geology.
- Bochev-van der Burgh, L.M., K.M. Wijnberg and S.J.M.H. Hulscher (accepted). Foredune management and foredune morphodynamics: A case study of the Netherlands' coast. Journal of Coastal Conservation.
- Pérez Lapenã, B., K.M. Wijnberg, A. Stein and S.J.M.H. Hulscher (2011). Spatial factors affecting statistical power in testing marine fauna displacement. Ecological Applications 21(7): 2756-2769. (doi: 10.1890/10-1887.1)
- Pérez Lapenã, B., K.M. Wijnberg, S.J.M.H. Hulscher and A. Stein (2011). Simulation-based impact assessment of offshore wind farms on seabirds. Journal of Sustainability Science and Management 6(1): 107-117.
- Bochev-van der Burgh L.M., K.M. Wijnberg and S.J.M.H. Hulscher (2011). Decadal-scale variability of managed coastal dunes. Coastal Engineering 58: 927-936.
- (doi:10.1016/j.coastaleng.2011.05.013 )
- Wijnberg, K.M., L.M. Bochev-van der Burgh, and S.J.M.H. Hulscher (2011). Coastal management and long-term foredune behavior: characterizing semi-natural foredune evolution. J. of Coastal Research, Special Issue 64, 329-333.
- Pérez Lapenã, B., K.M. Wijnberg, S.J.M.H. Hulscher and A. Stein (2010). Environmental impact assesment of offshore wind farms: a simulation-based approach. Journal of Applied Ecology 47: 1110–1118. (doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2010.01850.x)
- Uunk, L., K.M. Wijnberg, and R. Morelissen (2010). Automated mapping of the intertidal beach from video images. Coastal Engineering 57: 461-469.
- (doi:10.1016/j.coastaleng.2009.12.002 )
- Horstman, E.M., K.M.Wijnberg, S.J.M.H.Hulscher, and A.J. Smale (2009). On the consequences of a long-term perspective for coastal management. Ocean and Coastal Management, 52: 593-611. (doi:10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2009.08.009)
- Bochev-van der Burgh L.M., K.M. Wijnberg and S.J.M.H. Hulscher (2009). Dune morphology along a nourished coastline. J. of Coastal Research, Special Issue 56: 292-296.
- Horstman, E.M. , K.M. Wijnberg, A.J. Smale and S.J.M.H. Hulscher (2009). Long-term coastal management strategies: useful or useless? J. of Coastal Research, Special Issue 56: 233-237
- Smit, M.W.J., Aarninkhof, S.G.J., Wijnberg, K.M., González, M., Kingston, K.S., Southgate, H.N., Ruessink, B.G., Holman, R.A., Siegle, E., Davidson, M. and Medina, R. (2007). The role of video imagery in predicting daily to monthly coastal evolution. Coastal Engineering 54: 539-553.
- Ruessink, B.G., K.M. Wijnberg, R.A. Holman, Y. Kuriyama, I.M.J. van Enckevort (2003). Intersite comparison of interannual nearshore bar behaviour. J. of Geophysical Research 108(C8): 3249-3260.
- Southgate, H.N., K.M. Wijnberg, M. Larson, M. Capobianco, and H. Jansen (2003). Analysis and modeling of field data on coastal morphological evolution over yearly and decadal time scales. Part 2: non-linear techniques. J. of Coastal Research 19 (4): 776-789.
- Larson, M., M. Capobianco, H. Jansen, G. Rozynski, H.N. Southgate, M. Stive, K.M. Wijnberg, and S. Hulscher (2003). Analysis and modeling of field data on coastal morphological evolution over yearly and decadal time scales. Part 1: background and linear techniques. J. of Coastal Research 19 (4): 760-775.
- Stive, M.J.F, S.G.J. Aarninkhof, L. Hamm, H. Hanson, M. Larson, K.M. Wijnberg, R.J. Nicholls and M. Capobianco (2002). Variability of shore and shoreline evolution. Coastal Engineering 47(2): 211-236.
- Wijnberg, K.M. Environmental controls on decadal morphologic behaviour of the Holland coast (2002). Marine Geology 189, 227-247.
- Wijnberg, K.M., and A. Kroon. Barred beaches (2002). Geomorphology 48: 103-120.
- Plant, N.G., B.G. Ruessink, and K.M. Wijnberg (2001). Morphologic properties derived from a simple cross-shore sediment transport model. J. of Geophysical Research 106(C1): 945-958.
- Van Rijn, L.C., and K.M. Wijnberg (1996). One-dimensional modelling of individual waves and wave-induced longshore currents in the surf zone. Coastal Engineering 28:121-145.
- Wijnberg, K.M., and J.H.J. Terwindt, (1995). Extracting decadal morphological behaviour from high-resolution, long-term bathymetric surveys along the Holland coast using eigenfunction analysis). Marine Geology 126: 301-330.
- Wijnberg, K., Mulder, J., Slinger, J., Van der Wegen, M., Van der Spek, A. (2015). Challenges in developing ‘Building with Nature’ solutions near tidal inlets. Proceedings Coastal Sediments 2015, 11-14 May 2015, San Diego, USA, 13p.
- Van der Weerd, L., Wijnberg, K. (2015). Aeolian activity on a peninsula-shaped mega nourishment. Proceedings Coastal Sediments 2015, 11-14 May 2015, San Diego, USA, 12p
- Wijnberg, K.M., Van der Weerd, A.J., Hulscher, S.J.M.H. (2014). Tracking Aeolian transport patterns across a mega-nourishment using video-imagery. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 16, EGU2014-9187, EGU General Assembly 2014, Vienna, Austria, 1 p.
- Schretlen, J.L.M. and Wijnberg, K.M. (2013). Argus video imagery in support of aeolian transport studies. (p. 526). Plymouth: University of Plymouth, 12th International Coastal Symposium ICS2013, 8-12 April 2013, Plymouth, United Kingdom.
- Hoonhout, BM, Vries, S de, Baart, F, Thiel De Vries, JSM van, Weerd, L van der & Wijnberg, K (2013). Monitoring of beach surface properties with remote sensing. In: P Bonneton & T Garlan (Eds.), Proceedings Coastal Dynamics 2013, 7th International conference on coastal dynamics, Bordeaux, France: pp. 821-832.
- Weerd, A.J., Wijnberg, K.M., Werf, J.J., Walstra, D.J.W. & Ribberink, J.S. (2013). Wave-driven dynamics of shoreward propagating accretionary waves. (p. 27). RCEM2013, University of Cantabria, Cantabria, Spain.
- De Groot, A.V., De Vries, S., Keijsers, J.G.S., Riksen, M.J.P.M,. Ye van, Q., Poortinga, A., Arens, S.M., Bochev-Van der Burgh, L.M., Wijnberg, K.M., Schretlen, J.L. , Van Thiel de Vries, J.S.M. (2012). Measuring and modeling coastal dune development in the Netherlands. In: Kranenburg, W.M. , Horstman, E.M. and Wijnberg, K.M., (eds.) NCK-days 2012 : Crossing borders in coastal research : jubilee conference proceedings, University of Twente, Department of Water Engineering & Management, Enschede, the Netherlands, ISBN 9789036533423.: p.105 –110. (DOI: 10.3990/2.178)
- Pérez Lapeña, B., and Wijnberg, K.M., (2012). Statistical power in testing seabird displacement due to an offshore wind farm: a case study off the coast of Rhode Island. Book of Abstracts NAOC 2012 – From sea to sky, Vancouver, Canada, p. 269. (invited contribution)
- Pérez Lapeña, B., Wijnberg, K.M., Stein, A., Hulscher, S.J.M.H. (2011). Statistical power in testing marine fauna displacement due to an offshore wind farm. In: R.May and K. Bevanger (eds.), Proceedings Conference on Wind energy and Wildlife impacts, 2-5 May 2011, Trondheim, Norway, NINA Report 693: p. 46.
- Wijnberg,K.M., and L.M. Bochev-van der Burgh (2010). Impact of coastal management practice on long-term foredune behaviour. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 12, EGU2010-7216-2, 2010, EGU General Assembly 2010, Vienna, Austria, 1 p.
- De Oude, R., D.C.M. Augustijn, K.M. Wijnberg, F. Dekker, M.B. de Vries, T. Suzuki (2010), Bioengineering in front of a river dike: wave attenuation by vegetation. In: G.C. Christodoulou and A.I. Stamou (eds.) Environmental Hydraulics. Proceedings of The 6th International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics, Athens, Greece, 23–25 June 2010. Volume 1, p. 253-258. Taylor & Francis Group, London, ISBN 978-0-415-58475-3
- Wijnberg, K.M., L. Uunk, R. Morelissen, A.B. Cohen, and S. J.M.H. Hulscher (2009). Beach response derived from automated bathymetry measurements. In: J. McKee Smith (ed), Coastal Engineering 2008, Proc. of 31st Int. Conf. on Coastal Engineering, Hamburg, Germany: p. 2363-2372.
- Pérez Lapeña, B., K. Wijnberg, S.J.M.H. Hulscher, J. de Leeuw (2008). Impacts of offshore wind farms on seabirds, dealing with spatio-temporal variability. Book of abstracts of the International Statistical Ecology Conference, 9–11 July 2008, St. Andrews (Scotland), 1p.
- Wijnberg, K.M., and Holman, R.A., (2007). Video-observations of shoreward propagating accretionary waves. Proc. RCEM2007, Enschede, The Netherlands: 737-743.
- Van der Burgh, L.M., K.M.Wijnberg, S.J.M.H. Hulscher, J.P.M. Mulder, M.van Koningsveld (2007). Linking coastal evolution and super storm dune erosion forecasts. Proc. Coastal Sediments ‘07, New Orleans, USA:1813-1826.
- Wijnberg, K.M., Aarninkhof, S.G.J., Spanhoff, R., (2007). Response of a shoreline sand wave to beach nourishment. Proc. Of 30th Int. Conf. on Coastal Engineering 2006, San Diego, USA: 4205-4217.
- Aarninkhof, S., Wijnberg, K., Roelvink, D., Reniers, A. (2005). 2DH-Quantification of surf zone bathymetry from video. Proc. Coastal Dynamics ’05, Barcelona, Spain.
- Wijnberg, K.M., Aarninkhof, S.G.J., Van Koningsveld, M., Ruessink, B.G. and Stive, M.J.F. (2004). Video monitoring in support of coastal management. Proc. Of 29th Int. Conf. on Coastal Engineering, Lisbon , Portugal: 3136-3148.
- Ruessink, B.G., R.A. Holman and K.M. Wijnberg (2001). Interannual nearshore bar behaviour: An intersite comparison. Proc. Coastal Dynamics ’01, Lund, Sweden. 646-655.
- Van Enckevort, I.M.J., and K.M. Wijnberg (1999). Intra-annual changes in bar plan shape in a triple bar system. Proc. Coastal Sediments ’99: 2548-2558.
- Aarninkhof, S.G.J., C.L. Hinton and K.M. Wijnberg (1998). On the predictability of breaker bar behaviour. Proc. 26th Int. Conf. on Coastal Engineering, Copenhagen, Denmark: 2409-2422.
- Wijnberg, K.M., and R.A. Holman (1997). Cyclic bar behaviour viewed by video imagery. Proc. Coastal Dynamics ’97, Plymouth, UK: 375-384.
- Wijnberg, K.M. (1996). On the Systematic decay of breaker bars. Proc. 25th Int. Conf. on Coastal Engineering: 3600-3613.
- Wijnberg, K.M., and L.C. van Rijn (1995). One-dimensional modelling of individual breaking waves. Proc. Coastal Dynamics ’95, Gdansk, Poland: 341-354.
- Wijnberg, K.M., and F.C.J. Wolf (1994). Three-dimensional behaviour of a multiple bar system. Proc. of Coastal Dynamics ’94: 59-73.
- Wijnberg, K.M., and J.H.J. Terwindt (1993). The analysis of coastal profiles for large-scale coastal behaviour. in: J.H. List (ed): Proceedings of Large Scale Coastal Behaviour ’93, US Geological Survey Open-File Report 93-381: 224-227.
- Terwindt, J.H.J, and Wijnberg, K.M. (1991). Thoughts on large-scale coastal behaviour. Proc. Of Coastal Sediments ’91:1476-1487.
- Horstman, E.M., A.J.P. Helder, and K.M. Wijnberg (2008). Lange termijnvisie kustbeheer vraagt grotere ruimteschalen. Land+Water, 48 (11): 24-25.
Books or contribution to books
- Kranenburg, W.M., Horstman, E.M. and Wijnberg, K.M., (Eds.) (2012) NCK-days 2012 : Crossing borders in coastal research : jubilee conference proceedings. University of Twente, Department of Water Engineering & Management, Enschede, the Netherlands. DOI: 10.3990/2.165
- Filatova, T., L.M. Bochev-van der Burgh, K.M. Wijnberg, S.J.M.H. Hulscher, A. van der Veen, J.P.M. Mulder (2011). Congruent scales in economics, coastal engineering and morphology. In: C. Heip and R. Laane (Eds). Aspects of coastal research in contribution to LOICZ in the Netherlands and Flanders (2002-2010). LOICZ Research and Studies No. 38, Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht: 129-137.
- Wijnberg, K.M. (1998). Large-scale decadal behaviour of nearshore morphology: three case studies of multiple barred coasts. In: A. Kroon and B.G. Ruessink (Eds.), Geographical Development in Coastal Morphodynamics, Utrecht University, The Netherlands: 185-203.
- Wijnberg, K.M. (1995). Morphologic behaviour of a barred coast over a period of decades. PhD-thesis Utrecht University, Netherlands Geographical Studies 195, K.N.A.G., Utrecht, The Netherlands, 245 pp.
- Schretlen, J.L.M., and Wijnberg, K.M., (2012). Argus video imagery in support of aeolian transport studies: an exploratory study at Vlugtenburg beach. Report Ecoshape/Building with Nature, workpackage HK 3.2, 61 pp.Reports
- Asjes, J., R. Hille Ris Lambers, T. Reijs, J.T. van der Wal, S. van Heteren, K. Wijnberg, B. Pérez Lapeña, (2010). Spatial management, ecological impacts and monitoring in relation to offshore wind energy development on the Dutch Continental Shelf. A review of the results of We@Sea Research Line 2: Spatial Planning and Environmental Aspects. Report number C140/10, We@sea/ IMARES-WUR, 110 pp.
- Pérez Lapeña, B., and Wijnberg K.M., (2010). Analysis and forecasting of change in the marine environment: a method for identifying impact of large scale offshore wind farms on marine fauna. Report We@sea / Research line 2, 49 pp.
- Wijnberg, K.M., Roelvink, J.A., Aarninkhof, S.G.J. (2004). Bed variability in the surf zone at the storm- and seasonal time scale, mapped by Argus-video techniques. WL|DelftHydraulics, Report – Z3781b, 28 pp.
- Wijnberg, K.M. (2004). Bruikbaarheid voor de kustbeheerder van door Argus gemeten beheersparameters. Nauwkeurigheid, inzetbaarheid en toegevoegde waarde. WL|DelftHydraulics, Report-Z3781a, 54 pp.
- Wijnberg K.M., and Verhage, L. (2004). Strandbreedte ontwikkeling nabij Egmond 1999-2004. WL|DelftHydraulics, Report – Z3828, 9 pp.
- Wijnberg, K.M., and Aarninkhof, S.G.J. (2003). Monthly evolution of a nourished barred beach. WL|DelftHydraulics, Report – Z3290, 49 pp.
- Roelvink, J.A., Aarninkhof, S.G.J., Wijnberg, K.M., Reniers, A.J.H.M. (2003). Quantification of 2D subtidal bathymetry from video. WL|DelftHydraulics, Report – Z3536, 19 pp + Appendices.
- Wijnberg, K.M., Ruessink, B.G., Stive, M.J.F., Van der Spek, A.J.F., Walstra, D.J.R., (Eds.), (2003). Delft Cluster – Coasts, Final Report. Report DC-03.01.003-02 / WL|Delft Hydraulics Z2822: 117 pp.
- Wijnberg, K.M., and Kroon, A. (1999). Wave–formed nearshore bars. A review of bar morphodynamics in the intertidal and subtidal domain. Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research Utrecht (IMAU), Utrecht University, The Netherlands, report R 99-07, 46 pp.
- Invited speaker STOWA workshop ‘dynamisch kustbeheer’, June 9-10, 2015, Texel The Netherlands. ‘De Hors in relatie met de dynamiek van het zeegat’.
- Stuiflab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAp2lrclF3w&feature=player_embedded#t=25
- Organizer symposium on ‘Building Coastal Dunes’ in symposium series of the Netherlands Centre of Coastal Research (NCK theme days), 2014.
- Organizer NCKdays 2012, Enschede, The Netherlands. (Annual 2 day symposium of the Netherlands Centre of Coastal Research with additional 1-day field trip to Ems-Dollard estuary). http://nck-web.org/index.php/nck-days/nck-days-2012.html
- Organizer and chairman of symposium on Coastal Dune Growth in symposium series of the Netherlands Centre of Coastal Research (NCK theme days), 2009.
- Chairman of BBOS spring symposium “The Dutch Delta in 2109” (BBOS = Buijs Ballot Research School, Utrecht, The Netherlands), 2009.
- Co-organizer RCEM 2007, international conference on River, Coastal and Estuarine Morphodynamics, 2007.
- Member reviewteam ‘SBW-duinen’ (Committee reviewing contract research (by order of Rijkswaterstaat) that aims at advancing the safety assessment of dunes as flood defense). Since 2005.
- Member of the program committee of the Netherlands Centre for Coastal Research (NCK) Since 2005.
- Invited expert in advisory committee ‘Monitoring Zandmotor’, 2011.
- Keynote speaker NCK-days 2011, Texel, The Netherlands, 2011.
- Invited speaker 27th Binghamton Geomorphology Symposium, Woods Hole (MA), USA, 1998.
- Guest lecture at University of Cambridge, Department of Geography, UK, 1998.
- Guest lecture at Dalhousie University, Physical Oceanography Department, Canada,1997.
Guest lecture at Florida Institute of Technology, Department of Marine and Environmental Systems, College of Engineering, Melbourne (FL), USA, 1993.
- Data analysis in water engineering and management (MSc, University of Twente, since 2005) - course code: 195410100
- Fluid mechanics - practical sessions (BSc, University of Twente, since 2014) – part of Module ‘Water Management’, course code 201300044.
- Design project ‘B3’ on the theme ‘Re-design of the Utrecht City Central Station area’, which includes the reopening of historic waterways. This project requires students to use and integrate their knowledge on ‘civil- and water engineering’ and ‘traffic and transportation sciences’ in a 4-6 person project team. Responsible for theme ‘water’. (BSc, University of Twente, 2013 + 2014).
- Design project ‘B3’ on the theme ‘Olympic Games in Waterland the Netherlands’. This project requires students to use and integrate their knowledge on ‘civil- and water engineering’ and ‘traffic and transportation sciences’ in a 4-6 person project team. Responsible for theme ‘water’. (BSc, University of Twente, since 2011+2012).
- Design project ‘B3’ on the theme ‘Living with the water’. This project required students to use and integrate their knowledge on ‘civil- and water engineering’ and ‘traffic and transportation sciences’ in a 4-6 person project team. Responsible for theme ‘water’. (BSc, University of Twente, 2006-2010)
- Water (introductory course on water engineering) (BSc, University of Twente) (2004)
- Seminar morphology (responsible for topic ‘nearshore sand bars’) (2004)
- Mathematics for physical geographers (BSc, Utrecht University) (1998-1999 (lecturer); 1991-1994 (assistant lecturer))
Field class physical geography (BSc, Utrecht University) (mapping skills and hydrological experiments in the field) (1993)
MSc final projects
- Can state-of-the-art numerical modeling be used to design more efficient and economic power plants? – Annet Both (at Deltares, ongoing)
- Numerical modelling of morphological development in a managed realignment project. A case study of the Eastern Perkpolder project, The Netherlands – Xinyue Zhao (at Deltares, ongoing)
- Real-time flood extent estimates from Twitter messages: mapping uncertainties – Tom Brouwer (at Deltares, ongoing)
- Effects of beach holiday houses on the wind and related sand transport – Elise Leusink (ongoing)
- Mental models of dune dynamics and perspectives for regulating construction of beach huts – Ethan Tromp (ongoing).
- Influence of data and information in the assessment of the piping failure mechanism – Julius van Stokkum (at BZ Innovatiemanagement, ongoing)
- Operational early warning system in MorphAn – Jelmer Veenstra (at Deltares, ongoing)
- Modelling sediment transport pathways in the mouth of the Scheldt estuary – Stefan de Vries (at Deltares, 2016).
- Arctic precipitation changes and their effect on the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Cycle (AMOC) – Niek Sleen (at KNMI, 2015).
- Including the effect of buildings in the probabilistic modelling of dune safety – Thijs Raaben (at Deltares, 2015).
- Aeolian transport on beaches, on the role of transport limiting factors – Elisa Reim (2013)
- Predicting storm impact on coastal dunes at Ameland – Auke Terlouw (at Deltares, 2013)
- Wave-driven dynamics of Shoreward Propagating Accretionary Waves in the nearshore – Lianne van der weerd (at Deltares, 2012)
- Safety assessment of coastal dunes as flood protection – Peter Brandenburg (at Deltares, 2010)
- Modeling of wave attenuation by vegetation in SWAN to be applied in the design of a vegetation-fronted dike in the Noordwaard – einout de Oude (at Deltares, 2010).
- A comparison of applied wave-dominated sand transport models including boundary layer streaming – Willem Wong (2010).
- Improved long-term coastal management as a result of a large-scale spatial perspective - Erik Horstman (at Witteveen+Bos, 2008).
- Salt intrusion in the Selangor Estuary in Malaysia - Maarten van Breemen (at Alkyon, 2008).
- Automated collection of intertidal beach bathymetries from Argus video images - Laura Uunk (at WL|Delft Hydraulics, 2008).
- Coastal morphodynamics at Egmond beach (The Netherlands) – Elmi van den Braak, Lisette Grolle, Cynthia Reintjes, Michelle Berg (1999).
- Managed realignment at Tollesbury (UK) – Sandra Vermeer (at Cambridge University, UK, 1998).
BSc final projects
- De kust – meer dan hoogwaterbescherming; Een verkenning van de baten van kustlijnzorg. (at HKV, 2015) – Tessa Andringa,
- Geuroverlast riolering in Nederland (at Arcadis, 2015) - Marien Korevaar.
- Verkenning uitvoeringsstrategieën voor afkoppeling hemelwaterafvoer in Enschede (at Gemeente Enschede, 2015) - Robert Hofstra.
- Invloed klimaatverandering op grondwaterstand in stedelijk gebied (at Wareco Ingenieurs, Deventer, 2014) – Maarten Baan. (Influence of climate change on groundwater levels in urban areas)
- Meetmethodiek eolisch zandtransport: het meten van overstuiving over de zeereep. (at Witteveen + Bos, Rotterdam, 2014) - Tom Maatkamp. (Methodology for measuring aeolian sand transport: measuring sand pray passing the foredune)
- Knelpunten analyse voor het rioleringsstelsel van Kontich (at Antea Group Gent, Belgium, 2013) - Rigt Venema.
- The effect of pontoons on flow patterns in small harbors (at University of Aberdeen, UK, 2013) - Leonie Straatsma
- Een studie naar de standaardisatie van gemalen (at TAUW, 2013) - Rens Holterman
- Sediment load assessment and sediment management in the Broadlands Hydropower Project in the upper reaches of the Kelani River (at Ceylon Electricity Board, Dharmapala, Sri Lanka, 2012) – Eric Jacobs.
- Analysis of the water availability for the area of Einlanden-Digul-Bikuma (at PusAir Center for Water Resources, Bandung, Indonesia, 2012) - Bouke Pieter Ottow
- From camera to GIS: A feasibility study for camera-based automatic inspection of river banks (at Grontmij, De Bilt, 2011) - Matthijs Bary.
- River bed changes of the River Overijsselse Vecht (at Waterschap Groot Salland, Zwolle, 2011) - Renier Kramer.
- Sedimentation problems in the Cilalawi River, Indonesia (at Padjadjaran University, Bandung, Indonesia; 2011) - Gerben Jan Vos.
- Van weiland tot woonwijk (at Aveco de Bondt, 2011) – Herman Brink (From pasture land to residential area).
- Dijkversterking Noord-Groningen (at waterschap Noorderzijlvest, 2011) – Thijs Visser (Dike reinforcement in Noord-Groningen, The Netherlands).
- Historical hurricane atlas (at Royal Haskoning, New Orleans, USA, 2010) - Rinse Joustra.
- Sediment source assessment in the Gippsland Lakes (at Department of Primary Industries, Rutherglen, Victoria, Autralia, 2010) - Lianne van der Weerd.
- Experimental Surge forecasting tool eSURF (at Royal Haskoning, New Orleans, USA, 2009) – ChuHui Lin.
- A predictive model for hurricane surge levels in New Orleans (at Royal Haskoning, New Orleans, USA, 2008) - Marcel van den Berg.
- Onderzoek naar de relatie tussen drinkwaterverbruik en weerscondities (at DHV, Amersfoort, 2007) - Lea Goedhart (Relation between weather conditions and the consumption of drinking-water).
- Onderzoek naar de verwachtingen van actoren m.b.t. de voorbereiding van vaargeulverdieping Hanzerak-West (at Rijkswaterstaat – directie IJsselmeer gebied, 2007) – Suleyman Naqshband. (Stakeholder expectations in the preparation-phase of the deepening of the Hanzerak-West waterway).
- Invloed onverzadigde zone op een bestaand “quickscan”-model voor grondwaterstijging door infiltratie (at Tauw, Deventer, 2007) - ander van den Tillaart (The influence of the unsaturated zone on changes in groundwaterlevel near stormwater infiltration facilities).
- Fluid mud, mucopolysaccharides and salinity in the Ems Estuary (at Groningen University, 2006) – Janneke Tax.
- Saline intrusion in the Gambia River after dam construction (at Department of Water Resources, Banjul, The Gambia, 2005) – Chris van Rens and Maarten Verkerk.
- Co-organizer Summerschool on Estuarine and Coastal Processes in relation to coastal zone management, Texel Island, The Netherlands (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015)
- Lecturer at Summerschool on Estuarine and Coastal Processes in relation to coastal zone management, Texel Island, The Netherlands (2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015)
- Lecturer at International Summer Course on Coastal and Estuarine Morphodynamics, Skallingen, Denmark (2006)
- Organizer experiments in the ‘Water dome’ as part of ‘Experiment in het Bos’– (Hands-on science education program for children ages 10-14, 3 week lustrum event at University of Twente, September 2011) http://www.utwente.nl/experimentinhetbos/en/domes/ (see some pictures of wave flume experiment (Harriet Joolink explains formation of wave ripples) at: http://www.utwente.nl/experimentinhetbos/fotoalbum/%5Eindex.html/photo_page_34.html
- VHTO/Spiegelbeeld role model ‘women in science and technology’ at secondary schools (VHTO – National expert organisation girls/women in science/technology, http://www.vhto.nl/ ).