Information for outgoing students


If you want to go abroad you have to arrange a lot of things. Make sure that this fits within your study plan. You can always discuss your study plan with your study adviser. To give you a rough overview of the steps you have to take, a timeline is provided in this section. Note that this timeline is a guideline, the information provided gives no guarantees.



preparation to arrival

pack your bags

while abroad

returning home

12-8 months in advance

8-3 months
in advance

3-1 months
in advance

1-0 months
in advance

0-12 months

0-1 months


12 – 8 months in advance

In the pre-application phase you can orientate yourself on the endless number of possibilities.

When you decided to actually go abroad the first step in is to register as an outgoing student in the Student Mobility System (SMS). You do this by filling in an Application form (NL: Aanmeldingsformulier). You have to register in one of the four categories for student mobility:

  • Minor (NL: Minor), if you study abroad during your BSc programme
  • Internship (NL: Stage)
  • Graduation (NL: Afstuderen)
  • Courses abroad (NL: Vakken buitenland), if you study abroad during your MSc programme

Note that studying abroad can cost somewhat more than staying in the Netherlands. Orientate yourself in the possibilities on getting a grant in the section on Money Matters.

If you want to discuss you plans contact the student mobility center.


8 – 3 months in advance

For more information about the exchange procedure and registration for courses abroad, see the exchange procedure.
For more information about doing an internship or graduation abroad, see the internship procedure.


3 – 1 months in advance

When you successfully applied it is time to do some other arrangements…

As soon as you’ve found a placement notify the university that you are no longer seeking by filling in an Assignmentform (NL: Opdrachtformulier) in SMS.

Also apply for the mandatory Travel Insurance of the University of Twente.

For more practical information about for example visa, housing & vaccinations, visit the UT’s website on study abroad.

Lastly, arrange your paperwork such as your Learning Agreement (LA), Assignment Agreement & Confidentiality Agreement.
Note that during the holidays it might be more difficult to get your papers signed!


1 – 0 months in advance

It is time to pack your bags!


You are obliged to let the UT know that you arrived safely and started your time abroad by filling in a Notificationform (NL: Meldingsformulier) in SMS!


Want to provide others such a great time as you’ve had? Register as a Buddy at the University of Twente.

For information about what to do upon rerturn , check the section about what to do after your stay abroad.