Applying for an force majeure allowance - take notice

Duration of study programme plus 1 extra year (= C+1)

You are only eligible to support if the period of delay falls within the C+1 period of your academic programme. C+1 = nominal study duration for the programme plus one extension year. Thus:

  • Bachelor students: within the first 4 year of the bachelor programme, counted from the moment of first enrolment in a bachelors' programme in Higher Education.
  • Master students: within the first 2 year of the master programme, counted from the moment of first enrolment of a one year masters' programme in Higher Education. For masters' programmes of 2 or more years, the period will be extended with those years.
  • If you have been awarded an extra year of study finance by DUO due to a chronical illness or an impairment, study delay in that extra year will also be recognized (C+1+1).

Notification of special circumstances required

If circumstances occur, that may cause study delay, you need to notify your study advisor wright away. Your study advisor will discuss wether adjusments are needed.

If study delay occurs due to those circumstances, you need to notify the student counselor within 3 months. When your notification is not in time, your application may be rejected. An appointment with a student counsellor can be made through the secretariat SACC.

The application

  1. You can send in an application trough the web application. Give a clear description of your circumstances and the extent of the delay. If you haven't enough room on the application form, you can e-mail your explanation to
  2. Make sure that you submit your application within 3 months directly following the end your circumstances. If you haven’t met that deadline, your application will be considered inadmissible and therefore will not be handled.
  3. Only when you have proof of legitimate grounds, the CPO may acknowledge your application (hardship clause).
  4. Hand in possible evidence as soon as possible. You can upload them with your application our e-mail them to

Calculation of the support in months

  • TOM students:
    If you are delayed during the academic year, you will first receive a decision about the recognisability of the delayed period and the circumstances. After the resit of the concerning academic year, you will receive the decision about the allowance. Per missed module (15EC) an allowance of 3 months will be awarded.
  • Students who do not fall under TOM:
    • The number of months of the delayed period x 5 (=nominal pace of study of 5EC per month) = nominal pace in the delayed period.
    • Nominal pace in delayed period - obtained results in delayed period = actual delay.
    • Actual delay : 5 (=nominal pace of study of 5EC per month)= recognized delay in months.
  • With 1 extra year performance grant or study advance:
    If you have been granted 1 extra year performance grant or study finance by DUO, and your study delay includes the entire period of you educational programme, in that case the extra DUO year will be deducted.

Limitation Force majeure allowance and other Support

  1. If you have received activism grants or top-level sports/arts grants for the same period over which you have applied for a force majeure allowance, the number of grants will be deducted from the calculated study delay.
  2. Per calendar year: you cannot receive more than 12 months force majeure allowances, activism grants, top-levels sports/arts grants together.

The Amount of the allowance

  • Scholarship students from countries outside the EEA receive an amount of € 970,- per month.
  • All other students receive the same monthly amount, which consists of the monthly statutory tuition fee and the monthly traveling allowance.
  • For academic year 2016/2017:€ 264,99 (= €99,661 plus € 165,33). This amount can be supplement with:
    • an amount equal to the received DUO supplementary grant,
    • the difference when a higher tuition fee has been paid.
  • In principle financial support out of the Profiling Fund (WHW 7.51) is not taxable. This means that you do not have to report your force majeure allowance as income to the Dutch tax authorities. An exception is the amount of the supplementary grant. This is a extra-statutory allowance and therefore in principle taxable. For more information you can contact the Tax Office.

Limitation of support

The Force Majeure Allowance during the entire period of enrolment at the UT is totalized:

  • All students (except scholarship students from outside the EEA): € 8.000,-
  • Scholarship students from outside the EEA: 12.000,-

Insufficient feasilbe educational programme

If you are dealing with problems of a part (module, course, semester) of your educational programme or with your internship or thesis, you need to notify your study adviser or programme director a.s.a.p. If, however, it has caused study delay, you may be eligible for a Force Majeure Allowance. See the regulation FOBOS, Force Majeure Allowance Regulation (art. 4.b.) for the application procedure.