Cyprian Mcwayizeni Thwala
Building Ravelijn, Room 5139
PO Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
Telephone: (053) 489 3365 (secr)
Cyprian is a member of Global Health System and specializes in Health Economics with interest in econometric and quantitative methods analysis for healthcare investments.
His current research concentrates on the impact of Social Health Insurance Policy to Health Systems particularly in emerging economies.
He has also studied the effects commodity prices, economic development to universal health coverage (UHC) as advocated by the World Bank and United Nations.
As a researcher, he is also part of the project at Pompeu Fabra University Barcelona (Spain) looking at the impact of the Cash Transfer program to education and health outcome in South Africa.
2016 Master of Management in Finance and Investment (Banking and Financial Engineering)
(Cum Laude), University of the Witwatersrand , Business School, Johannesburg, South Africa.
2015 Visiting PhD researcher, Economic policy evaluation, Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona Spain.
2012 Visiting Master researcher, Institutional Investment , Universiteit Maastricht, Maastricht, the Netherlands.
2010 Master of Science in Medicine ( Haematology), University of the Witwatersrand , Medical School, Johannesburg, South Africa.
2006 Bachelor of Science in Medicine (Cum Laude), University of Limpopo, Sovenga, South Africa.
- Vice chancellor Award , Wits University 2016
- Golden Key International Award 2016
- SAMRC Emerging Researcher Award 2015
- South Africa and VU Amsterdam strategic partnership Award 2012
- South African National Research Foundation Scares Skill Award 2009
- Henry Bradlow and John Lemer Academic excellent Award 2007
- Cyprian Thwala and Precivil Carrera. (2016).Limited Resources And Health Outcomes: Malaysia And Oman. Health Affairs (Milwood), 35(8): 1377.
- Cyprian Thwala and Precivil Carrera. (2016). The effects of commodity price shocks to universal health coverage goal in developing countries. Global health system Symposium. Vancouver ,Canada . 1400-1530.
- Cyprian Thwala and Precivil Carrera. (2014).Expanding social health insurance coverage in developing countries: causality analysis and macroeconomic implications. NHESG conference. Health Economics. Ireland.
- Cyprian Thwala, and Precivil Carrera. (2014).Emerging Economies Leapfrogging to Universal Coverage: How and How soon. NHESG conference. Health Economics. Ireland